PDA

View Full Version : White Sands

Tom Rambaut
03-12-2013, 06:29 PM
From recent trip to New Mexico. It was hard to find sand without foot prints. With AM and others from the Bosque ITP.

1D MK 4, 70-300 @ 300, 1/500 @ 14, EV +2/3, ISO 400. B & W conversion done in CS5.

Thanks Tom

Don Railton
03-12-2013, 11:33 PM
I quite like the simplicity of this Tom.. That little tussock behind the big one needs evicting IMHO, it keeps dragging my eye to it.

DON

Rachel Hollander
03-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Hi Tom - my thoughts were exactly the same as Don's. I really like the simple comp and the pattern in the sand but the additional small tussock detracts.

TFS,
Rachel

Tom Rambaut
03-14-2013, 01:34 AM
I'm so so about that second tussock.

Not big on removing stuff - did not see it at time of capture. Was in a hurry. I just liked the lines of the dunes and the meeting of the dune with the crusty base.

Robert Amoruso
03-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Tom,

This is just not working for me. Image is flat in contrast and going to BW only accentuates that. Sidelighting not strong enough to create stronger shadows in the sand is the biggest issue in my estimation.

The grass tussock just don't add enough visual interest to the image. The majority of the image is just a mid-tone gray.

Tom Rambaut
03-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks Robert for the honest opinion.

Is it an original capture issue or the B W conversion?

Tom,

This is just not working for me. Image is flat in contrast and going to BW only accentuates that. Sidelighting not strong enough to create stronger shadows in the sand is the biggest issue in my estimation.

The grass tussock just don't add enough visual interest to the image. The majority of the image is just a mid-tone gray.

Don Lacy
03-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Hi Tom, I see where Robert is coming from there really is not enough tones for this to work as anything then a graphic image using contrast to create drama in the image. I played around with it in PS to show you where I would have went with the image.

Morkel Erasmus
03-19-2013, 05:08 AM
Hi Tom. Sorry for being late to this one. Robert summed up my thoughts well.
I do think you can play with this to 'introduce' more contrast and tonal range (even more than what Don has done), will have a go tonight at home...
:S3:

Anette Mossbacher
03-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi Tom,

I think you can get more out of this image from your RAW file, than my RP. Did this in a bit fast mode, tried 3 different approaches and this one I would take further. Maybe the bush darker, or just the opposite, the dune dark and bush bright. The light comes from the right... many possibilities :)
But this depends on you, what you see in your image :))
If there is more room to the RHS would be great to see.

There is nothing in this image disturbing me, when I brought out the Contrast I even found some great tracks running across the dune :))

Ciao
Anette