PDA

View Full Version : Barn Owl

Jonathan Ashton
03-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Tripod Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS & 1.4TC Mk 1 ISO 640 1/800 sec f5.6
After weeks and weeks one of my first shots of the local barn owl. I did wonder about giving a little more contrast but left as is because this pretty well reflects the scene as I recall it.
All C&C welcome.

Mike Tracy
03-12-2013, 07:16 PM
I like the intent look and wing position. I agree about a little more contrast and wish he was positioned more right in the frame.

Karl Egressy
03-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Nice, hunting pose captured, Jonathan.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Lovely hunting pose and I especially like the dangling feet. At first glance I found your bird placement unconventional but it quickly grew on me and makes complete sense.
Must be a thrill to watch them hunt?

christopher galeski
03-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Nice capture Jonathan,nice pose and good details,I think I would try a bit more contrast,but still nice as is.

Jonathan Ashton
03-13-2013, 08:47 AM
I agree the bird needs a little more contrast, and ideally I need it closer so the crop is smaller and the IQ a bit higher. Fingers crossed I will try again this afternoon.

Randy Stout
03-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Jon:

The pose is growing on me, almost as if he overshot breakfast, and is looking back to see it.

I would increase the contrast on the bird slightly, but not the background. I gave it a quick tweak to see how it looked, and found the BG very quickly became to busy and distracting as the contrast was pushed.

Good luck this afternoon.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
03-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Jon:

The pose is growing on me, almost as if he overshot breakfast, and is looking back to see it.

I would increase the contrast on the bird slightly, but not the background. I gave it a quick tweak to see how it looked, and found the BG very quickly became to busy and distracting as the contrast was pushed.

Good luck this afternoon.

Cheers

Randy

Hi Randy, that's exactly what I found which is why I decided to leave it. On other images I have made a mask of the bird and enhanced a little.

Stu Bowie
03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi Jon, looks like the weather played ball, and you came away with your dream shot. Great hunting pose, and I like how the talons stand out against the greener part of the BG. I too like your placement, as the owl is now looking back into the space behind.

Hope you get more this afternoon.