PDA

View Full Version : Whistling Fract

Andrew McLachlan
03-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi Folks,

Back from the Port Antonio, Jamaica region...lots of landscapes and lots of frogs so I thought I would start with a fract of a Johnstone's Whistling Frog, also known as a Lesser Antillean Whistling Frog. Every night I would spend an hour or two searching for these guys as they chorused and some were very predictable as they would sing from the same leaf night after night. I found this one on some yellowed leaves of a wild banana plant.

Using my Nikon D800 and a Nikon 80-400 VR lens with a Canon 500D close-up filter attached to the lens I was able to get close enough to this tiny crooner. A Nikon SB-400 on a flash bracket was also used in creating this photo.

As usual I used Fractalius on a duplicate layer to mask back in the original eye and additional tweaking to the fract in Viveza 2 and Color Efex 4 (detail extractor)

Look forward to comments.

Cheryl Slechta
03-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Wonderful colors on this one, Andrew. Fract work is perfection. I especially like the different textures of the banana leaves.:S3:

Nancy Bell
03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Wonderful contrasts complimenting each other in this image; the brilliant yellows with the rich green and the curved fractalius lines on the frog with the parallel lines on the leaf. And of course, your great fractalius frog running diagonally through the image with his bulging contrasting throat. I have a tropical froggy friend who says that the night-time snakes are his biggest concern when he is looking for the tiny singing creatures.

gary ellwein
03-12-2013, 07:34 PM
A very bright crisp image. I particularly like the multiple textures. The green bg accentuates the yellows and browns. The little guy makes great eye contact. I am assuming the dark area under the throat is a shadow. With a second flash could it have been eliminated?

Dennis Bishop
03-12-2013, 08:29 PM
This has a lot of nice contrasting elements. It's at times like this I almost wish we could incorporate sound with the images. I'd love to hear what this guy does.

Maureen Allen
03-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Andrew, I've missed your frogs! This one is a beauty. Fract is perfect and the colors are outstanding.

Paul Lagasi
03-13-2013, 02:39 AM
I can't imagine how much blood you gave up to get these images, between the mosquitos and sandflies. They are very cool, I like the extended throat and the frac effect. Nice work

Andrew McLachlan
03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks very much for the kind words folks, much appreciated!

Kerry Perkins
03-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi Andrew, nice to see you and your amphibian friends again! I love the saturated colors and fract work in this one, very nice. These little guys must make quite a racket at night!

Andrew McLachlan
03-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Much thanks Kerry, they do make quite a racket ALL night long

Mitch Carucci
03-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Nice use of fract. Not overdone.