PDA

View Full Version : Bohemian Waxwing

Jeroen Stel
03-12-2013, 01:44 PM
When it's cold out here in The Netherlands (and believe me...today it is!) we get scarse northern visitors over from Scandinavia such as these beautiful Bohemian Waxwings.
Was glad to have been able to photograph them again this year and hope to see many more of them in years to come.

greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Canon Eos 1D Mark IV
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Aperture: F 4,5
Exposure mode: M
Exposure compensation: + 1/3
Flash:No
Flash exposure compensation:
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: AI Servo (in AF-On modus)
ISO: 1000
Lens: Canon 600mm F4
Focal length:780 mm
AF mode: Auto Focus
On tripod and fluid head
Levels/Curves/USM/Contrast/Saturation/Noise Ninja/Home stewed Sharpening-mix/ Adobe Photoshop CS6

Randy Stout
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Jeroen:

Congrats on your IOTY award, a beautiful image for sure.

The soft light here gave you rich, saturated colors, the head angle shows of his crest well, nice catchlight.

Normally I would be inclined to crop from the right because of his pose, but I like the twig with the row of drops on the right.

Lovely BG colors.

Cheers

Randy

Shawn Zierman
03-13-2013, 01:12 AM
Interesting that you mentioned the cold, because my initial thought when I looked at this
was....love the warmer color palette....warmer than I usually get to shoot this species in
anyway. It's a beautiful frame, very well composed. Love the water beads on the branch
in the lower right...the branch itself makes a nice leading line to the bird. The natural setting
is sweet,...still wish the tail of the bird showed better.

christopher galeski
03-13-2013, 07:59 AM
nice image,like the colors,and I like the crop.

Frank Schauf
03-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Excellent details, love the perch, great pose, very nice background, and nice light.

Daniel Cadieux
03-13-2013, 11:25 AM
This image is alot better than what the thumbnail implies, it's actually quite beautiful. I love the comp, very well balanced despite the "unconventional" placement of the subject. Super well done...

Robert Holguin
03-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Beautiful image!!!
Excellent pose, love the perch, great background, nice light, and terrific comp.
Just lovely!!
Very well done.