PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Swallowtail

Randy Stout
03-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Taken last week at the Meijer's Gardens Butterfly conservatory. This is the 1st one of this species that I have seen there in the 5 years I have been going. I saw him once for a few seconds, and then gone into the upper stories.

D4 Sigma 180 f/3.5 @ f/16 1/200s ISO 800 hand held R1C1 flash, with two heads

Wish the tails were a bit sharper. Had focus point on head, should have tried moving it down the thorax a bit.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Steve Maxson
03-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi Randy. This is another one I haven't seen - and what a beauty! It gave you a very nice pose and you have good sharpness - the slight softness in the tails is barely noticeable and is not bothering me. The bright multicolored leaves in the background are drawing my eye - I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done about that. You might try toning down the brightest yellows a little. This such a cool butterfly I think it's worth trying a couple tweaks to make this image even better. :S3:

Randy Stout
03-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks Steve:

I have already reduced the luminosity and contrast of the back leaf, and need something there so the head doesn't get lost against a black/dark BG.

I will have another go at it and see if I can tweak it a bit more.

Appreciate your input.

Cheers

Rand

Dave Leroy
03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
LOvely looking colors on the butterfly. Nice and sharp. Well done on the sharpening as it looks like an easy photo to over sharpen with all the small detailed contrast. A tough bg to work with but after 5 years still a very nice photo.

Jonathan Ashton
03-17-2013, 06:29 AM
Randy I think the image holds well together, the butterfly would appear to be on the ideal plant leaf as the colours are complimentary. The high contrast in the image is a little disconcerting but after a few moments my eye seemed to accept the situation as a replication of a natural scenario. You note the tails are a little OOF, they are indeed but you have managed to get the antennae really sharp so that tends to keep the concentration at the other end. I like the image very much, I said the contrast didn't bother me but just maybe consider toning down the yellow patch bottom right?