PDA

View Full Version : Here's looking at you.

Grace Scalzo
03-12-2013, 11:19 AM
After years of trying, I finally had an opportunity to photograph some buffleheads. These are very hard to get close to where I live.

1/800. f8. iso800
Canon 1dx, 500 f4 + 2.0tc + lowered tripod

Karl Egressy
03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Grace,
It is nice that you managed to get close.
I like the looking back pose and the beautiful colours in the head. The blue water is also nice.

Bill Dix
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Love the iridescence, the great look-back pose and detail on the bird. Exposure looks good, which is tough on these guys in the sunlight. No real nits from me, although I could imagine a version even more pano, with a slivver off both bottom and top. Wish I could get close to one of these guys.

Steve Maxson
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi Grace. I agree - these little beauties are hard to get close to - I have yet to succeed at doing so. Nice pose and sharpness, the blues in the water are very attractive and the beaded water drops on the plumage add interest. Well done!

Jeroen Stel
03-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Amazing colors on this Duck's head! Love the head turn and might be temted to open up the dark tones on it's back a little bit and tone down the whites a tad on the head.

greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Sandy Witvoet
03-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Fantastic! These "little ones" are so difficult to photograph... Great job on the iridescence and lovely HA. Overall comp and colors are excellent.
(really tough to capture them in the water for a decent op ... and Buffles in Flight are like itty-bitty fighter jets at about mach-6!)

gail bisson
03-12-2013, 04:36 PM
No nits from me!:w3
You nailed the iridescence and I like the tilted head and big eye.
I like the little pink foot that is visible under the water.
I might try to tone down the whites on the head with DE if you have it.
A lovely image,
Gail

Gen Benjamin
03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Beautiful Grace, I love the movement to the water and the droplets on the bird I get such a great sensation of movement. Beautiful colors captured well. I would agree that the whites on the head look a tiny bit bright.
Gen

Robert Holguin
03-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Wonderful shot.
Excellent shooting angle and pose.
Great comp and IQ.
Well done.

Shawn Zierman
03-13-2013, 01:17 AM
Very nice! Great subject size in the frame. The perfect head angle really compensates for the body
being slightly angled away. The chop on the water is nice, and I like that you managed to capture
the bufflehead on top of the wave. Water beads on the body evidence of recent diving...dig it!

Grace Scalzo
03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Thank you everyone. This picture made me very happy and I appreciate your comments.