PDA

View Full Version : Twin White Faced Ibis

Don Nelson
03-12-2013, 01:29 AM
Two White Faced Ibis posing. (yes, these birds really do have iridescent feathers)
Mark IV - 800mm + TC 1.4x III, ISO 640, manual mode, 1/1000, f8, no flash.
(I still like this combination for static distant shots out west -- you can't leave your car on this refuge to wade closer... the 1DX and 600 II w TC1.4 III is ready for their flight image)
I have a tiny bit more canvas on the RAW above and to right if more space was desired, or do you like the current crop? Comments always appreciated. Thanks.

David Salem
03-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Nice shot of these two. I have may of these at the refuge I frequent and have taken lots of shots and as you know its surprisingly difficult to get them angled right to show the beautiful feather sheen. You did very well. I think its only the males that get the real nice purple/red color. The techs look great and I like the crop as presented. Nice work.

Frank Schauf
03-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Nice clean image of this species.

Shawn Zierman
03-12-2013, 08:52 AM
The iredescence captured is really something...so many different colors! Great symmetry in the head angles of the subjects.
Wish you could have achieved a lower angle, as the reflections do not add much here, and the lower angle could have improved
the bg control...possibly. But yes, I read your post and realize you were abiding by the rules of the refuge...so good on you sir!

Stu Bowie
03-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Hi Don, the light has certainly brought out the varied coloured iridescence, and colours that I havent seen on this species of Ibis before. Our Glossy Ibis's have more green on them. Great that you managed perfect HA's from both, and although the reflections are weak, I would leave them in, as cropping up from the bottom will leave these two, too 'cramped' in the frame.

Daniel Cadieux
03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Love the similar poses you got, and yes the iridescence is impressive. Good exposure and OK details. Awesome colours! You could burn the brightest sheen on the plumage. I feel you could go more panoramic here: A bit less at bottom up to about the reflected shoulders (I'm not fond of the head reflections skimming the bottom edge anyhow), and then double the amount of space at right.

Robert Holguin
03-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Great shot.
Two great poses, love the feather color, and nice details.
I would crop some off the bottom and add some on top.
Well done.