PDA

View Full Version : Orange-chinned Parakeet

Bill Holsten
03-11-2013, 11:10 PM
These are tough birds, about the size of a small Oriole. At fruit feeders, they refuse to let larger birds (Toucans, Aracaris, Oropendolas, Parrots) chase them away from the fruit. The biggest challenge in photographing them is to find one without a face full of banana or papaya. Photographed last month at Laguna del Lugarto, Costa Rica on an excellent workshop with Greg Basco and Doug Brown. The beak was semi-inundated with ripe banana, necessitating major beak surgery in PS. I really like the composition, the way the perch frames the bird. Having the orange chin in view is a bonus.

1D Mark IV, 500mm, 1/500", f/9, ISO 400, tripod, no flash

Critique and comments welcome and encouraged.

christopher galeski
03-12-2013, 12:44 AM
nice one Bill,love the colors in this,great BG,nice perch and pose,sharp with good detail.

arash_hazeghi
03-12-2013, 01:35 AM
man this is beautiful. Greg and Doug know what they are doing. I usually don't like the perch blocking the bird, but in this one the perch is very nice so it works for me.

David Salem
03-12-2013, 02:03 AM
This is very nice indeed. The perch, the colors, the detail and the awesome BG make for a beautiful shot. Nice work.

Frank Schauf
03-12-2013, 02:53 AM
Beautiful and colorful image.

vishaljadhav
03-12-2013, 08:06 AM
You know what Bill, if you would have shown me only the frame with the perch going across it i may have still fallen in love with this one, you got even a parakeet on it
The color tones are superb, lovely placement of the perch in the frame and the bird looks fantastic
A truly wonderful image over all

shane shacaluga
03-12-2013, 08:47 AM
I love this image. I think this is the image that comes into our heads when we think of a tropical jungle

I really like all that green with the contrasting orangeish beak

TFS

Shawn Zierman
03-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Sweet bg!!! I've seen many great images come out of the workshops put on by these guys and this is no exception.
Very nice job on the bill clean up. Composition is beautiful. Excellent perch complexities.

Karl Egressy
03-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Excellent perch, bird, and eye contact.

Steve Maxson
03-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi Bill. These little guys were hard to get good images of - seems they usually had their head stuck in a banana! You did a great job with the beak cleanup and I really like the pose, perch, comp, light, and background. An excellent image!

Don Nelson
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Compelling portrait of this bird, including the mossy perch complements the bird (Like Arash, I don't usually like large diameter perches obscuring the bird, but this one works well). Excellent IQ.

Daniel Cadieux
03-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Fantastic image Bill, all those different shades of green are very nice. The darer BG works quite well and I love the faint streaking within it. Bill clean-up is seamless and I would not have known otherwise.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Superb image Bill, I love the perch, the HA, the light and the sharpness is perfect. Beautiful bird!!

Doug Brown
03-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Thumbs up on this one Bill! Nice perch, eye contact, and sharpness. The texture in the BG adds a lot to the image.

Robert Holguin
03-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Lovely shot.
Background and perch are just wonderful.
Great perch and IQ.
Well done.

Bill Holsten
03-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks to all of you who took the time to comment on this image. I felt good about it before I read the comments. i feel great about it now.

Thanks again,
Bill