PDA

View Full Version : Old House

PaulAnderson
03-11-2013, 08:08 PM
This is my first photo post on this site so try not to be to hard on me lol. This shot is an old abandon home along side a road that I've been wanting to shot for some time.125817 Shot with Nikon D7000 Tokina 12-24mm; iso 100, 18mm f/16 1/40th sec. -1/3 ev on tripod. Ran it through photomatrix then put it back to lightroom and converted it to b/w

Don Railton
03-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Hi Paul.

Welcome... I think this is a great image...! Only looking on a small laptop screen at work but the image looks nicely processed and the image has a nice moody feel. I dont do a lot of B&W so I will let others suggest any improvements, but I honestly cannot see any problems...Well done.

DON

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Welcome Paul! This has a spooky feel (almost "soft focus") that works for me (though I might try one more round of slight sharpening to see if it can be a bit crisper without losing that mood).
It does look like it's slanting to the RHS (perhaps just an optical illusion) so I'd also experiment with a slight CCW rotation.
Before reading your notes I thought it looked like a Photomatix rendering - it's always the trees and the way the software renders them that gives is away for me :w3

Looking forward to more!

Don Railton
03-12-2013, 11:35 PM
I think a small face in the window or a cat on the balcony would not look out of place also..

Rachel Hollander
03-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Hi Paul and welcome. A very nice first image. I like the choice to convert it to b&w. I also had the feel it was slanting and would look at some ccw rotation. Looking forward to seeing more of your images and don't hesitate to jump in and post comments to other people's images. It's the best way to get the most out of BPN.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
03-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Paul,

I like the moody look too but wanted to try a different approach so downloaded the image.

Curves adjustment to lift overall brightness of image retains look but opens up shadows and clouds. I like seeing more detail in the trees. Slight CCW rotation seems appropriate and some sharpening.

Don Lacy
03-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Well composed and I really like the mood created by the conversion. Welcome to the sight and i can not wait to see more of your images