PDA

View Full Version : Coot reflection

Jeannean Ryman
03-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Went to the pond early this morning and found a few willing subjects. I normally don't pay much attention to the Coots (unless they're fighting...which can be quite comical), but it seemed this one was begging to be photographed. It sat totally still and kept glancing my way just as the light of morning was starting to shine through the trees, so I took a few shots trying to practice exposing the blacks, while not blowing the white beak. I also liked the reflection, but know there are mixed views on whether a reflection adds or distracts from a photo. I realize it's a tight shot at the bottom. I didn't crop, as it was full frame, and couldn't move farther back due to a big messy mud puddle. Anyway, I thought I'd post it to get some feedback, as well as your thoughts on reflections. When do they work and when don't they? As always, I appreciate all your ideas, help, and suggestions. :) Technical info: Nikon D7000/500mm f/4-P, 1.6x TC, on tripod/gimbal @ 1/160, f/8, ISO 320.

John Chardine
03-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi Jeannean- Superb sharpness and great detail in the blacks. You did this while maintaining detail in the bill and shield- this is no mean feat in a coot! The only thing I would do is give a little more room at the bottom to give the head reflection a little space.

Jeannean Ryman
03-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks John. I don't know why I didn't add some canvas to the bottom in the first place. I knew it needed some. I suppose even full frame shots can take a bit of canvas. Lesson learned. I added some blank canvas and did a color fill using the water. How easy could that be?! :e3

Jeff Cashdollar
03-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Jeannean,

This is actually a very nice mage. The coot is not easy to shoot with the white beak and black feathers it can drive the meter crazy and the tendency is to blow the whites - nice job controlling the exposure here. The compelling piece with the coot is either the lobbed feet or red eye, you display a very nice clean well lit eye. The reflection with added canvas makes the picture look regal and displays the subject in good form and light. I love pictures that show the beauty of birds, you have captured that feeling here. I spend hours looking for interesting subjects and often forget that simple elements or everyday subjects can make strong pictures - well done.

The slight ring of water really adds to the frame as well and solid field technique using a tripod to get that critical shape detail that takes a picture to the next level - I really like this one Jeannean!!!

Joshua Meehl
03-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Jeannean,

This shot really brings out the best in the unappreciated Coot. I think the reflection works well. I have been striving to get a similar reflection shot. I also really like the lighting on the ivory bill. You did a great job nailing the exposure.

Sandy Witvoet
04-07-2013, 04:45 PM
I like everything about this. Exposure is excellent. Either crop works for me. Fantastic job of making a "simple" black and (a bit) of white bird look stunning. The red eye (without being overly bright) draws attention to exactly the right spot. Wonderful!