PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Flower

Dave Leroy
03-11-2013, 04:57 PM
From last summer while looking up at the cloud covered sky.
5DIII, 100mm, f/8, 1/200,
Cropped, rotated and a few bg elements and specks on the flower removed.

Jonathan Ashton
03-12-2013, 04:32 AM
Very well focused and exposed, lovely colours. I like the diagonal composition, I wonder if the stem is a little long, this is the sort of fix I often find myself in - should I shorten the stem or not! The white sky background is ok but there is a lot of it if you get my drift. The DOF on the flower is for me a little shallow, the droplets on the top right for example would have looked better had they been sharp. The detail in central area is however very good, and this does tend to keep my attention.

Dave Leroy
03-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Yes I had the same feeling about the long stem, especially the oof part. I felt better about the longer crop however so went the way as presented. I'll have another look at it.

Thks,

Steve Maxson
03-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Hi Dave. I like the "studio" look of this one with the white background. Also, good exposure and colors. For this vertical comp I like the long stem (and the diagonal) that puts the flower in the upper 1/3 of the frame. You have good sharpness within your DOF (a little more DOF on the flower might have been even better) and the water drops add interest. Overall, this is very nicely done!

Randy Stout
03-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Dave:

Good comments from Jon and Steve. Do agree about the DOF. You didn't mention your ISO, but with this camera, would have traded a bit for greater DOF>

I would be tempted to remove the dark 'smudge on the left side of the frame.

Cheers

Randy

Dave Leroy
03-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Oops. ISO was 800. I could have gone to ISO 1600 and possible dropped ss a bit also.
Randy for the dark smudge is it on the edge and same height as bottom of flower? It could be in the area I removed the bg elements. Tks.