View Full Version : Rhino Mud Bath

Rudi van den Heever
03-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Canon 50D and 100-400mm L lens at 375mm
Settings: 1/200s at F5.6 and ISO 800

Converted in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2

Morkel Erasmus
03-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Nice scene here Rudi, with the "view over the dam" adding a nice low angle.
I felt it could use a tad more tonal separation and contrast, so some dodging and burning was lavishly applied in this repost - WDYT?
:bg3:

Tom Graham
03-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Without your title the behavior is not clear to me.
Why is the one on its back? Is the other one trying to help it up? Or has it stabbed its horn into it?
Tom
or, perhaps I simply don't know much about rhino behavior!!!

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Tom, hence there is a descriptive title...to clear up all confusion... :)

Anette Mossbacher
03-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Hi Rudi, I really like your Mud Bath, should try it out myself next time :bg3:

Love the composition...etc.

Morkel gave you a nice RP, what just reminds me of my last Rhino post in here. I might would have used a tad less tonal & contrast, but that is just me.
My last Rhino had nearly the same or even a bit more Tonal & contrast and was compared with an HDR. For me, I am a bit more careful since than. :w3

Ciao
Anette

Rudi van den Heever
03-12-2013, 02:33 AM
Thanks guys! Morkel, I like the work done in the RP on the water, but will go slightly less on the D&B on the rhinos... Thanks for steering my thoughts in the right direction with this one! :w3

Always a battle to find that right balance Anette!

Tom, they are big buddies and just playing! I few seconds later they were lying in the mud side by side...

Rudi van den Heever
03-12-2013, 07:18 AM
OK... my take on Morkel's suggestions... Too much?

Rachel Hollander
03-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Hi Rudi - always interesting behavior. I would have preferred just a bit more room above and perhaps a little less below but I know we're often restricted with what we can achieve in the field. On your repost I would tone down the bright spots in the water as the eye is drawn there. They are more subtle in Morkel's rp.

TFS,
Rachel