PDA

View Full Version : Northern cardinal from my back yard woods

Dennis Zaebst
03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
From this last December. Perch is not the best, but that's what she chose. This was not a setup.

Some cropping, plus NR to BG, and sharpening of bird. Added a touch of warmth in post as it was shot on an overcast day. A little clarity, vibrance, and saturation enhancement. I thought about desaturating the BG just a touch, but thought I would leave it alone and see what your thoughts were.

C/C accepted and learned from with pleasure.

Canon 1D IV, ISO 800
500 mm f/4L IS + EF 1.4x TC II
1/400 sec. @ f/7.1
Evaluative metering; AV mode + 1/3 EV.

PhilCook
03-11-2013, 07:20 PM
I like this a lot Dennis, and I dont see the perch as any big problem, if it was a little smaller even better, but as you say he picked it, not you, however there is just a slight halo effect on the upper edge just right of the bird. I think the background compliments the bird well in tones and color saturation, the birds beak is still the most colorful aspect so I believe the background is very nice as is....wishing the oof twigs behind were not there, but that's being very picky

Overall I think you've done well, the bird is sharp where it needs be, and loving the favorite fine detail especially the little tuft of feather jutting out from his side. The eye is lovely and feet are very clear, possibly a bit tight in the frame = personal choice maybe and I feel would work nicer or as nice in a vertical format

Love those little bush birds !

Allen Sparks
03-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi Dennis,
I like the details you captured and the colors are nice. I like the overall composition and find the background complimentary for the most part - the oof branches are noticeable but not a deal killer for the image.

Allen

Frank Schauf
03-12-2013, 02:56 AM
Beautiful portrait, great details and eye contact.

Daniel Cadieux
03-12-2013, 09:00 AM
The cardinal looks great, good details and colours. The background is lovely as is and I would not desaturate it. Perch is OK, but a bit large...not too bad though. I do find the composition a bit tight though, you say you cropped the image but do you have more to re-add at top (and left and right to retain the ratio)?

Dennis Zaebst
03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
I do have a bit of extra room in the frame, so I recropped and made a few other minor adjustments. I hope this is an improvement. Thanks to everyone.

Robert Holguin
03-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Terrific shot!!
Great pose, excellent feather detail, really like the background as is, and nice perch.
Repost is much better.
Well done.

Dennis Zaebst
03-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Thank you Robert!