PDA

View Full Version : Carmine Colony

Brendon Cremer
03-11-2013, 04:37 AM
A Southern Carmine Bee eater flying through the nesting colony on the look out for potential mates. Image captured during a recent photo trip to Kalizo along the Zambezi River, Namibia where thousands of these beautiful birds return to every year to nest.

Camera NIKON D3
Focal Length 200mm
Shutter Speed 1/200 sec
Aperture f/4
ISO/Film 200

Shawn Zierman
03-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Gorgeous! I enjoy everything about this image. Great sense of place/use of space.
An image that makes me want to have been there!

Jack Breakfast
03-11-2013, 10:49 AM
A charming vista, Brendon, with a background that suits your subject(s) very nicely. I'd love to see the uncropped image, if you'd care to share it? I agree with Dr Zierman's sentiments, see above.

Corey Hayes
03-11-2013, 11:23 AM
sweet looking bird, very nice composition also.

Daniel Cadieux
03-11-2013, 11:30 AM
That is awesome, I love seeing all these birds in their habitat like this. The flying individual is placed perfectly in the frame. The white areas above do grab my eye a bit more than I like so perhaps toning those down more would be a good option. Although minor I would also eliminate the twig running behind the OOF flying individual at left Quite different than the norm, in a good way...highly enjoyable image..

Tim King
03-11-2013, 06:14 PM
One of the better photos I've seen so far. Wish I was right beside you too.

PhilCook
03-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Great opportunity and looking very good, stunning subjects, loving the dof blur and open wings, my only wish would of been to have the main focus bird more to the left of the frame

Marina Scarr
03-11-2013, 08:58 PM
I am truly impressed by this image. Yes I wish the twig were gone, but it's not. That prominent bird in flight anchors this image very nicely.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-11-2013, 10:02 PM
This is a very engaging photo, Brendon. Must be quite a sight, and you photo almost takes me there.
I don't know how to critique this photo, all I can say is that I enjoyed it thorougly.

Bill Holsten
03-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Super image Brendon. I can only imagine how long it took you to orchestrate this shot. I was lucky enough to see a colony of these birds at their nests (deep holes in a river bank) near King's Pool camp in Botswana, an experience I won't soon forget!

Bill

Brendon Cremer
03-12-2013, 03:40 AM
Thanks very much everyone, much appreciated, will post the original un cropped version as soon as i get home, in a few days. Thanks again.

Melissa Groo
03-12-2013, 03:10 PM
What a fantastic birdscape. Such a treat to take it all in. Thanks for posting something unusual and interesting.

Robert Holguin
03-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Terrific shot!!!
I really like seeing all the birds and showing their habitat.
The birds pop nicely against the ground.
Very well done.