PDA

View Full Version : Three Sisters at Sunset

Evan Cain
03-10-2013, 10:45 PM
This is a 19 image composite of the South and middle of the Three Sisters in Sisters, Oregon. Captured on November 22, 2012, sunset.

Taken at 400mm and varying exposures. ISO 100

The only regret that I have about this composition is I missed a frame in the upper right corner of the image, so I had to crop just above the mountain peaks to avoid this gap. I tried cloning onto blank canvas at that location. However, the clouds were too different to make it look realistic. I have also messed around with lightening the foreground ridge line, but when I did this the mountain didn't stand out as much. Thoughts?
C&C appreciated.

Don Railton
03-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Hi Evan

19 Images...phew! I love mountain shots and plan to post one here soon myself. My immediate thoughts when I saw this is that I was peering through a letter box slot looking at a fantastic mountain... So I love the mountain but think its all just a bit too tight top and bottom in the frame. I read you tried to lighten the foreground, I might have done this a little more aggressively as I think this contributes to the crowding of the image. Finally I think there is a blue cast over the rocks. I am having the same issue with my mountain, and I find to adjust this I need to make a change, then walk away and come back later to review the changes... My eyes seem to adapt If I edit for too long.

Thanks for showing

DON

Ron Bernstein
03-11-2013, 06:42 AM
I agree with Don's comments. I applaud your vision and your work, but I the problems he notes are real. The image is generous in the bottom where there is no detail, and tight on the top so that the mountain doesn't breathe.
Just to get an example of what could be, why not extend the canvas on top, clone the top inch of the canvas, paste it into the expanded canvas on the top, tweak it, and see what you've got. And introduce some
detail into the fg ridge? THX for posting- beautiful range!

Don Nelson
03-11-2013, 03:17 PM
I also agree with Don -- the snow is too blue and its cropped too tight.

this is a quick and dirty (still has some repeating patterns that need to be cloned/healed out -- but your work start with the TIFs from the raws so will be better. So just focus on this as an exemplar of what could be done -- its not complete. You'll have to improve on the content aware fill to drop out the repeats by cloning over - sometimes redoing the content aware and doing so 30% density cloning is the easiest way...

Note that the blue has been taken out of the snow, and you have the chance at some nice sunset colors (you'll have to selectively use hue/saturation on yellows and reds, plus also some selective color layers.).

here's the quick example: (not complete, but it does show the effect of widening the vertical dimension up a bit plus the other effects mentioned.)

BTW -- Nice capture was this the highway 20 viewpiont pullout between Sisters and Bend?

Evan Cain
03-12-2013, 01:27 AM
Thank you all for your comments. Everyone has pointed out what I thought was wrong with the image. I guess I didn't have the patience to add canvas after 2 hours of stitching the images together. I did notice the blue tinge, but I hadn't realized how much there actually was until Don did the reedit. Thank you.

This image was captured near Tumalo Reservoir. There are some awesome hiking trails that offer incredible photo ops of the Three Sisters and Mount Washington. I definitely will be going back next winter to see if I can capture the shot the way it needs to be captured.

Thanks for the comments

Don Nelson
03-12-2013, 02:12 AM
Evan
You have got a great image here
I don't think you need to wait until next year to capture it again -
My repost was to help show you the potential
After spending time doing the excellent image stitching there is lot more to be gained by some additional work!
you can always put it aside for a bit and come baxk to it
nice job!

Lyle Gruby
03-17-2013, 09:28 AM
I do agree that a litte more work on it now is worth it. As in Don's repost, there's tons of potential. Great idea and almost all the way done!