PDA

View Full Version : Gadwall Pair -- how to crop?

Bill Dix
03-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I've long enjoyed the way that otherwise-dark water can reflect the sky and turn blue when disturbed by swimming or feeding birds. (Same can happen with light-colored water in high-key situations.) I tried to maximize that effect on the crop as posted here, with the birds swimming out of the frame, but showing a longer blue trail behind. (A similar discussion was held here recently.) My question is whether this pano crop makes it look as if the birds have gone past me, and whether the next pane helps to alleviate that. (I realize that however I crop it, some will wish for a pair of head turns in my direction.)

Image was taken very late one afternoon last week at Manasquan Reservoir. D7000, 700mm, ISO 1000, 1/2000s @ f/6.3 manual.

Bill Dix
03-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Here's the other option, with less of a water trail, but with the birds swimming into the frame. Does this make for a more pleasing overall image?

Bill Dix
03-10-2013, 05:05 PM
And of course here's the third option, with less of a pano. This one, though, begins to show some further IQ loss from being a large crop (48% of full width.) I'd love to hear what you think.

gail bisson
03-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi Bill,
I prefer pane #2. It makes them look less "past you". You are right in your assessment that I wish for a better head turn! Nice pair and both in focus so well done with DOF,
Gail

Robert Holguin
03-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Very nice shot Bill.
Love these ducks to bad I dont see them that often.
I personally like the second comp
To me it just gives themcroom to swim into. Nice light and great shooting angle.
Well done.

jack williamson
03-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I very much like image two the best. Great light and the color of the water is very nice.

David Salem
03-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Number two for me to. Much more balanced. The third would be ok if it was shot at a closer distance giving it clear sharp detail. Its not bad though as presented. Techs look good too. Well done

Stan Cunningham
03-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Suppose I agree with above but I like that you are looking for something different. Try and narrower pano on number 1 and maybe even take more off the right side of the frame to see if it give the effect you are looking for. Just a thought.

vishaljadhav
03-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Bill , in preference of my taste i may like them in the reverse way, 3 being most preferred then 2 and then 1, just the taste i guess
i like the dark water and the only ripples made by the swimming ducks , the pair is what makes it nicer

arash_hazeghi
03-11-2013, 01:49 AM
like the dark BG, nice light on the ducks. my choice is the righter crop. bith ducks have passed us a bit

Shawn Zierman
03-11-2013, 03:42 AM
You said: "I've long enjoyed the way that otherwise-dark water can reflect the sky and turn blue when disturbed by swimming or feeding birds."...which is excactly why I like the first image the best. That reflected blue wake is gorgeous, and the OP showcases that feature best. Very nice image, with striking light contrast between the ducks and the water.

Nick Palmieri
03-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Nice birds, nice environment. My preference is 2.

Bill Dix
03-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks everyone. Although I had wanted to maximize the blue wake, I had decided that #2 was my favorite as well. These are not uncommon ducks, but it was my first image of a pair of the species. I'll hope for a closer shot with some eye contact next time. I always appreciate your comments.

Mitch Carucci
03-11-2013, 08:51 AM
The water is a beautiful element. Don't cut it. I vote for #1

Daniel Cadieux
03-11-2013, 08:57 AM
My preference is for the first one...with trailing water lines I don't mind the subjects placed the way they are there, especially with a pano crop. A better HA would have made this comp an even clearer winner IMO.

Stu Bowie
03-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Hi Bill, both OP and pane #2 show off the lovely blue of the trailing water, but I will go for pane # 2. There is enough of the blue water, and thay are swimming into space.

Bill Dix
03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys. As I've said in the past, I always love to see some difference of opinion on BPN.