PDA

View Full Version : Swallow tail with V1/FT1/85mm 3.5 VR macro

Randy Stout
03-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Besides the D4, I took along the V1 to try out. To say it was easier to hold than the D4/180 sigma combo, is an understatement. But, there are sig. limitations, as the camera doesn't do CLS, and uses a special flash shoe, so you are limited as far as your flash flexibility, and I couldn't use the SB-R200s from the R1C1 outfit. So, I had the single small SB-N5 on camera flash to work with.

V1 FT1 85mm 3.5 VR Macro f/16 1/125 ISO 800 hand held (no tripods allowed)

Post: 90% full frame, cleaned up some shadows on the Bg (which is a hand painted item from Roy Van Loo). Selective sharpening. No NR

When shooting, we take turns shooting and holding the background for the other guy. Gary Esman was along too, so we had quite the tag team going there.

Advice and comments always appreciated..

Cheers

Randy

Dave Leroy
03-10-2013, 11:10 AM
It is a great looking butterfly. I really like how nice and square it is to the sensor. Also how it appears translucent as if the light were coming from the far side. Nicely processed and really good positioning. If anything and if available a bit more room on top and to the left.
A very eye catching photo.

Jonathan Ashton
03-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Nicely composed and exposed, it is well focused considering hand held.
I am being rather picky now, I think whilst the image was well focused it does not quite have the detail that might be expected had you been able to use a tripod, in the head area for example the hairs are a little soft. The right wing is not quite in focus (DOF but f16??) In contradiction the curled up tongue and body seem sharp.
I am not sure about the sensor size etc so I cannot comment constructively over camera settings.
Having said that I think this is a pleasing image and the diagonal pose works well.

Steve Maxson
03-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi Randy. This is an interesting looking swallowtail and another nice specimen - I don't think I've seen this species before. Nice use of the artificial background - it always helps to have an extra set of hands available! I like the pose, the diagonal comp, the low viewing angle, and the positioning of the butterfly perpendicular to the sensor to get everything within the DOF. I would agree with Jon that the butterfly looks sharp - but not tack sharp. Maybe a little more selective sharpening would do the trick. On my monitor it looks like the whole image could be just a bit darker - may be just a difference in monitors? Overall, this is very well done and a tweak to the sharpening could put it over the top!

Gary Esman
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
This one turned out nice Randy. I noticed that you got the same effect on the eye that I did. I have not seen that before, but also have not shot this butterfly before. The use of the background here turned out nice. Sharp and correct exposure is a given from you. Great diagonal pose and a very nice specimen. Next trip there I may rig up an off camera flash to get some different angles.

Gary.

Randy Stout
03-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.

I agree, a bit darker, which helps the apparent sharpness a bit.

I am wondering if I am starting to see some diffraction limiting here, with the small/densely packed sensor of the V1 and the small f/stop.

Will do some more experimenting with different f/stops on my next visit.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
03-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Randy if it is diffraction I would suggest not being quite so close and use a slightly wider aperture, then crop slightly as required.