PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitive Hyena Pup

Rachel Hollander
03-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Taken in the early morning at a hyena den in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa. This cub and an adult came closer to check us out. I cropped to vertical to get rid of the partial adult on the lhs and still had to clone out the very edge of the adult's ear. As with the other images from this sighting, I was not using a flash but others were.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 190mm
1/400
f4.5
ISO 800
EC +1.0
HH from safari vehicle, cropped as discussed above, levels, curves, selective color, sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Gen Benjamin
03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Great detail in this image, love the bent paw. Wish the pup had a bit more room
Gen

dankearl
03-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Rachel,
Given the restraints of the crop and tight as it is on the left side, I think a portrait cropping the hindquarters
completely would look good.
A great expression on the pup and I really like those big front feet.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Very nice image Rachel, I love the detail, sharpness, the eye contact and inquisitive look by the little fella. A lower angle would have been even better, but I understand the limitations of shooting from a vehicle.

Morkel Erasmus
03-11-2013, 04:22 PM
I love the clarity in the eyes and face, Rachel, and there's good detail in the blacks throughout. I understand the limitations here, and don't mind the shooting angle that much as you need to get REALLLLLY low to shoot a hyena pup at eye level anyway :w3, though I do wish for more space at the bottom and less on top...

Steve Kaluski
03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Hi Rachel, I agree with Morkel about less above, more below, however if you have no more image area then loosing about 3/4 of the current space above, i think, will help? Personally I thinking going for a higher ISO will have then offered a bit more DOF, ie eye to nose, as presented it looks like it's just falling off a we bit. Appreciate you adding the additional info about why you cropped as you did, as it certainly helps the viewer. Like the overall colour & tones of the image. Getting a lower POV will be the next challenge. :bg3:

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
03-12-2013, 01:49 AM
Hi Rachel,

really nice image of the little one. You got great suggestions already above, I as well would love a bit more room for the little one. All easy said without doing Yoga on the Jeep :bg3:

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
03-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. No more room below but plenty more to the rhs.