PDA

View Full Version : Scotland - Isle of May

beykirch
03-10-2013, 06:13 AM
We will be in Scotland end of May and I was able to get seats on the Photographers Tour to the Isle of May (2.5 hours on Isle of May for not more than 12 participants in the afternoon).

As a question to the ones having been there how close will we get to puffins, etc? Will I need my long (400mm+) lenses on my 1D Mark IV or will up to 300mm be fine?

As we will do a lot of hiking during the main part of the trip, having just my 24-70L II and 70-300L with me sounds like a valid option if it would be long enough for the Isle of May.

Best regards

Bernd

John Chardine
03-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Hi Bernd- I used to work on the Isle of May, 30 years ago! If things haven't changed in this regard, you can get quite close to most species on the island (a few meters) but I would still take a longer lens. The 300 should be OK. A 400mm lens would also be very useful and would give you more flexibility but I think you could get away with the 300. Too bad that lens, which is super, does not take teleconverters.

beykirch
03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi John,

many thanks, I think I will just use my 70-300L as it makes the whole trip lighter and easier.

Bernd