PDA

View Full Version : Tufted Duck

Geir Jensen
03-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Image is from Norway. Data : 1/50 , ISO 200 , F 5,6 , 500mm +1,4 converter , beanbag , Lightroom.

Miguel Palaviccini
03-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Geir,

I'm usually not a fan of the head on with ducks, but this one works wonderfully! I'm surprised you got such a sharp image at 1/50". And at f/5.6 with the 1.4x, you really did a great job of nailing the focus with such a shallow dof. Just great all around technically.

The composition definitely works for me, too. If you aren't opposed to it, I would clean the couple of debri spots in the water and also see if you can take care of the white on the chest (not sure what it is).

Wonderfully done!

Miguel

Jonathan Ashton
03-09-2013, 05:38 PM
The shallow DOF increases impact, a fine image with excellent colours exposure and detail is superb. The low angle could not be better, the background is entirely complimentary.

PhilCook
03-09-2013, 06:07 PM
The dof is interesting in this as it draws attention nicely to the head/eyes of the duck, it almost looks like he's about to emerge through my monitor. Maybe a little more dofwould bring out more clarity on the breast feathers = minor nit pic. Low angle is excellent and very much liking the subtle color tones of water and backdrop.

Personal tastes maybe, but that one small piece of grass on the chest tends to catch my eye and tends to break up what is otherwise a very clean image

Karl Egressy
03-09-2013, 06:51 PM
I like the super low angle on this one. Tje lens must have been only a few mm from the surface.

Daniel Cadieux
03-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Super down-the-barrel stare. Low angle works really well. I would for sure remove that strand on the chest. I'm wondering why you did not raise the ISO for better shutter speed? I realize the sharpness is very good here, but you would help raise your keeper ratio...

Don Lacy
03-09-2013, 09:19 PM
HI Geir, I really like the low perspective and dead on stare from the duck. When viewing the image I thought it could use just a bit more contrast so I brought into PS and added a very slight S curve added a touch of tonal contrast with Unsharp Mask ( 10-60-0 an old PS trick before Niks made it popular) and finished up by selectively sharpening the eyes and removing the bit of grass. I wanted to keep the soft light feel but add just a bit more visual punch to the image.

PhilCook
03-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Brilliant re post by Don, looks sooooo good !

MohsenVahedipour
03-10-2013, 01:28 AM
Excellent low angle shot & great IQ in such a low SS. TFS

Geir Jensen
03-10-2013, 04:53 AM
The Sun was shining, when I let myself down to shooting. The first birds were starting to fly away. Then come the clouds and there was low light. Would I have adjusted the ISO, I had lost the image.
Super down-the-barrel stare. Low angle works really well. I would for sure remove that strand on the chest. I'm wondering why you did not raise the ISO for better shutter speed? I realize the sharpness is very good here, but you would help raise your keeper ratio...

vishaljadhav
03-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Impressive image, the low angle and the lovely details make it amazing
the front on pose is so impressive

Gen Benjamin
03-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Love the straight on pose of the bird. It all comes together in this image, colors, depth of field, low angle & light. I thought it looked fantastic in your post but after seeing the repost by Don it's even better
Gen

Bill Dix
03-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Super low angle POV. Those eyes really make the head-on capture work. Great repost. I know what you mean about not having the time to change the ISO. Our subjects are not always static, and sometimes every second counts. (Especially if you're shooting a Nikon without a one-finger ISO adjustment). Given that, I might be inclined to use a higher ISO as a default.

Robert Holguin
03-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Wonderful shot.
The super low shooting angle is terrific.
Love the head on shot, sharp, and well composed.
Well done.

Frank Schauf
03-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Great picture, nice deep shooting position and great eye contact.

Geir Jensen
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
You have done a great job , Don . But removing anything from the picture is wrong to me. Best regards Geir Jensen

Tim King
03-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Nice head-on shot. Well framed and a great BG. Nice tidy up on the re-post.