PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel Taking Off

Joerg Rockenberger
01-05-2008, 07:57 PM
The picture was created in February 2007 in Sierra Valley in the Sierra Nevada north of Lake Tahoe. Thanks for looking! JR

Canon 30D, 400F5.6, 1/1000s, F8, ISO-200, EC 0, Av mode, Evaluative Metering, Late Afternoon Light

Robert Amoruso
01-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for posting John. You captured a beautiful bird and great action. I would have like to have the head turned more towards you though. I can see that the light is coming from you right. Though I am not apposed to sidelight and with a head turn here, I think the head will still have been in the light, you generally want to have your shadow facing the bird.

Expose looks good. I would like a more room to the right and less on top. Looking forward to more.

Lana Hays
01-05-2008, 09:51 PM
John
Overall the image is pleasant...warm colors, beautiful bird, details and smooth BG. A head turn would have been nice but it's a very presentable image as is.

Alfred Forns
01-05-2008, 09:56 PM
John since you have a subject which you can move Try getting to your light angle before making the image Will have a drastic improvement

Joerg Rockenberger
01-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Thank you all for the helpful comments. You're of course all correct with the light angle. Don't remember why I didn't reposition myself. Probably was worried that it would take off.

Best, JR

Jim Neiger
01-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Very nice, John. I like the action you've captured. Kestrals are notoriously difficult to approach, so you did well to get off a shot before he was gone. The others have given you great advice.