PDA

View Full Version : Memories..

Don Railton
03-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Hello all

Here is another from my recent trip to my hometown in New Zealand. As a child of the 50's I remember this warf being the center of a busy little port, with two or three small ships being quickly unloaded /loaded before the tide receeded too far. As rail and road tracks improved the need for these small 'coaster' ships fell away and the busy port is now just a memory... I liked the light and the fog lifting..

1D4 + 18mm zeiss Distagon
ISO 250, F13 @ 1/20 sec on tripod
Manual eval metering
Full frame.

Processed in CS6 using levels, curves & selective colour layers.

DON

Jerry van Dijk
03-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Very nice mood you captured here, Don! I like how the fog catches those golden sunrays. The leading line of the buildings is also one of the strong points of the image. The mood fits the old buildings very well.

Dave Mills
03-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Hi Don, the fog is pleasing along with the late light. The clipped tree on the left I would have either shown more of or removed completely. Not quite sure about the pilings on the left but would have probably included more of it if there weren't any distractions. The sky has little interest and would of cropped out about a third (if the branches were removed) Finally I see the lens flare as a distraction...

Don Railton
03-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Thanks Dave and Jerry for the valuable input...

Dave, my intent with the inclusion of the branches and pilings to the left was to try and provide a bit of balance, but I think I may have not included enough of either to create any more than a distraction. Lesson learnt... I also purposely left the flare to see if it was commented on. I see it as a distraction also but was curious to what others thought. Finally its morning light but golder hours are gold when ever...

Thanks again guys

DON

Morkel Erasmus
03-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Sorry for being late to this one, Don.
I like the mood and the perspective...perhaps it could stand some opening of the deepest blacks?