PDA

View Full Version : Gator

Don Jacobs
03-08-2013, 03:32 PM
I had a chance to see this creature last weekend. Thought it made a nice shot. Used the 1DIV, 300 + 2X TC, ISO 1250, 1/1000, f/8.0 . C&C greatly appreciated.

Steve Kaluski
03-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Hi Don and welcome to the Wildlife part of the Forum.

Although I'm away and working from the MacBook pro (which is not ideal) but I will try and make some helpful comments.

Based on the image as presented, personally going tighter and making more of a play of the eyes, I think may work, but personal taste. Is this cropped, if so the FF version might offer other alternatives. As it stands I might pinch in the RH slider in Levels, then applying some Curves adjustments in the midtones. I might be wrong, but I might also drop some magenta. Working on the eyes to bring a bit more detail, clarity and depth works nicely. I think you can also add some more selective USM. Not to sure whats happening in the light grey, top right? I would also suggest removing the small white spot on the RHS.

I did have a quick play, so if my comments are not too clear let me know and I can RP my thoughts applied to the image.

Finally, just as a point of note, posted images may not have any logos or graphics other than a discreet copyright notice. Although yours it's knocked back, the size is too big, therefore we would appreciate a much smaller 'graphic' for the future, thank you. :S3:

kind regards
Steve

Robert Amoruso
03-08-2013, 06:20 PM
I agree a pano crop is needed 1/4 of the height down. That will strengthen the look of the eyes. The BG is not adding to the image making the eyes to low in the frame.

Rachel Hollander
03-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi Don and welcome to the Wildlife Forum. Before reading the other comments I too thought this screamed out for a pano crop to really emphasize the eyes. Steve has as usual made some excellent pp suggestions to take this up a notch. Hope to see more.

TFS,
Rachel

Gen Benjamin
03-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Love those eyes and agree with what has been said about a pano crop to bring all the attention to them.
Gen

Morkel Erasmus
03-11-2013, 05:28 PM
I support the crop suggestion...and also feel there's more to retrieve from the image as per Steve's suggestions.
Looking forward to a repost, Don (and also to seeing more of your wildlife portfolio here!) :5