PDA

View Full Version : Red legged Partridge

Richard Unsworth
03-07-2013, 03:26 PM
:S3:

Here is a frame of a common gamebird here, taken middle of the afternoon when they seem to emerge from dense scrub.
I like the environment, and of course the HA and eye.
Slight curves adjustment , nr and sharpened. Usually run like **** lol

1/800 HH ISO 400 F7.1 ME Ev meter
7d 100-400

Randy Stout
03-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Richard:

The colors here are very nice, like the environmental colors complimenting the bird.

Because of the large bush in the left foreground, I would be tempted to crop this as a vertical, to reduce the bushes impact. I am fine with most the grasses, but wish the closest one to his face wasn't there, it rather acts as a stop the movement of my eye around the frame.

The face looks a little soft and the crown looks a bit odd, as if there were some masking issues?

Cheers

Randy

jack williamson
03-07-2013, 07:24 PM
I love the environment here. colors are nice. I agree with Randy about the bush on the left, if it was in focus it would work fine. I too see the softness on the top of the head.

Karl Egressy
03-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Excellent painterly sorrounding and nice looking back pose, Richard.

Richard Unsworth
03-08-2013, 02:56 AM
Thanks

I have tried a different presentation for repost. I was taken by the colors in the pic so did something new with it.
It reminds me of the gamebird pics you see from time to time. The effect was done in Topaz Detail. I recropped, obviously , applied NR to BG only then resized, extra sharp to head. Anyone think it works?

David Salem
03-08-2013, 12:05 PM
The comp is much better in the re-post and the head looks sharper. Looks like a painting in a hunting lodge now. Obviously the effect has over saturated the colors but thats the effect. Cool.

Richard Unsworth
03-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks David - yes , Hunting Lodge painting indeed!
thx

Jonathan Ashton
03-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Hi Rich I like the shot and the composition of the repost especially, I think however the Topaz is a little OTT. Not exactly sure where we are going with colour, there appears to be a red cast (maybe just a little too warm)
I find the Topaz detail needs to be used very sparingly for birds,otherwise the image goes crunchy. I use it on the full sized image around the minimal setting for fine detail and more often than not that is all I use, I often set the boost to negative (1-2), especially if I do end up using the medium and large detail sliders.

Richard Unsworth
03-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Hi Jon

I like to experiment lol
I applie the soft option in detail and quite liked it, actually I have pretty much stopped using TD
its nice to get these different perspectives of course :-)