PDA

View Full Version : Two Blossoms

Norm Dulak
03-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Canon PowerShot S90, hand held
ISO 500; f/6.3, 1/640 sec
PP: PS CS6 minor crop, levels, curves, sharpen; Nik Color Efex 4 Pro Tonal Contrast

The trouble with Longwood Gardens is that there is so much to see. So it is often difficult to isolate your subject from other things. In this recent image from the Conservatory, I think I've largely succeeded. I like the two blossoms, that differ somewhat in their stage of development. I also like the differential illumination of the surrounding foliage, with bright illumination to the left, darker to the right.

What do you think?

Norm

Jonathan Ashton
03-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Norm you should take my flower critique with a pinch of salt, it is not a strong point of mine, usually I know a good shot when I see one but I am not too good at creating one. I will try to be analytical (maybe that's half the trouble I am a scientist not an artist??)

The image is of flowers against a green background. I would ask myself is it one two or more flowers, is two an ideal number (usually odd numbers work best). Then if it is of two flowers, are they both equally important, so are they both equally in focus? One overlaps the other does that improve the composition.
The background is irregular but uniform in distribution except for the bottom right corner.

Having said that I think the colours are very good and you have fine detail in the larger bloom. Hope this helps or at least maybe food for thought, this is just a personal viewpoint and other may disagree entirely with my approach.

Norm Dulak
03-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Interesting comments, Jonathan. Thanks.

Steve Maxson
03-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi Norm. Beautiful flowers, nice light, and an interesting background. I also like the overlap between the two. I would wish that the small flower was as sharp as the larger one - you might try some additional selective sharpening on the smaller flower to see if that helps. :S3:

Norm Dulak
03-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks, Steve. I'll work on the smaller flower.