PDA

View Full Version : Sadness...

Paul Pagano
04-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I love to go and sit in front of the glass and watch this fella. He's one of two at the exhibit at the zoo in Jacksonville. Always looks so sad though...

40D
70-200 f/4L
Av @ f/4 (f/5.6 w/1.4x TC)
Monopod
Shot a tad to the right and corrected in LR.

Dave Phillips
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
he's wondering if he's smarter than a fifth grader :)
excellent exposure.....kind of miss seeing the whole ear

Robert Amoruso
04-30-2008, 12:30 PM
I can certainly understand why he looks sad being in a zoo. You caught that expression well with those eyes. I like the side-light and the shadow on the face as that really brings out the character.

Paul Ricciardi
04-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey Paul, commented on this over on Flickr, figured I would add my two cents here. Great expression, I agree with Dave on the ear. I think that the photo could have a little more saturation to it and that there was a little bit of a blue cast. Maybe like this? In any event it's a well captured shot and really has a sense of true emotion to it.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/prclimber/Paganocopy.jpg?t=1209586290

Paul Pagano
04-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks Dave....I agree, I should have backed down a touch to include the ear...thanks, Robert. I was happy to capture his emotion. I get sad sitting and watching these great beasts just sitting....and looking. Paul, I like your repost and would conclude it by toning down the bright light spots. The saturation is better on yours. I am still learning working out saturation as I went from Pentax which was easily over-saturated to Canon which seems to need more sat added. LR stripping the file doesn't help either.

Ed Cordes
04-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Nits covered. Great pose with wonderful eyes.Looks like he is saying "And what do you think you are looking at?"

Alfred Forns
05-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Love the exposure captured !!! They are compelling subjects Color balance wise is very close Downloaded the image and looked very good Just did a slight adj to mid tones Face appeared a bit dark then enhanced the contrast and very little sharpening I like it a lot !!!

Paul Pagano
05-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Looks excellent, Alfred. Thanks! Thanks also, Ed. They eyes made this for me.

Roman Kurywczak
05-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Paul,
Alfred beat me to it as I was a little late to the party again! Maybe the ear would have added.......but it may have brought in other unintended BG distractions. I really like what you captured here......and i love Alfred's correction.
Very well done.

Van Hilliard
05-04-2008, 11:23 AM
OUtstanding expression and mood. I liked the original but think the suggestions regarding saturation and inclusion of the ear are valid. Robert's views on why the photo works so well also are excellent.

Gus Cobos
05-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Great capture, really tell his story.

Ian McHenry
05-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi Paul
I too have already commented on this neat capture on Flickr but feel I must comment on Alfred's re-post.
Not sure on the right expression "Bite" or "Grunt" but Alfred's post really brings your picture to its best.
Ian Mc