PDA

View Full Version : northern flicker

Phil Seu
04-29-2008, 09:04 PM
since i did not get the whole bird, wondering if a closer crop might be better?

Phil

nikon d300, 300/2.8+2X, 1/800 @ f/5.6, ISO 400

Doug Brown
04-29-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm not accustomed to seeing flickers on the grass, so perhaps a tighter crop would be better. The lighting looks a little harsh to me. Did you use a flash? If so, did you dial down your flash exposure compensation?

Axel Hildebrandt
04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Nice angle, eye contact and BG. If you have more room at the bottom for the 'virtual feet', this would help the composition. How did you sharpen the image? The plumage looks a bit unusual.

Ákos Lumnitzer
04-29-2008, 09:27 PM
The crop does not bother me, mind you I don't see these birds in my town! :)

It appears a little harshly lit, and a tad soft, but only a little.

Phil Seu
04-29-2008, 10:06 PM
i posted this image because when i look at it, sometimes i really like it and other times i hate it. i feel like it can be made better, just not sure how to do it. to answer the questions, fill flash was used at -2.0. it was sharpened using USM and maybe i under sharpened since the original image is fairly sharp. there is no more room at the bottom.

Gus Cobos
04-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Hi Phil,
You did good...:) I like your composition, the only thing you need to watch for is the harsh light from Mr. Sun. You did not use flash on this one.:D and also I would recommend adding more canvas on the bottom for the virtual feet.. Hey, all in all, you did good, congrats...keep them coming...:D

David Kennedy
04-30-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm not accustomed to seeing flickers on the grass....

Doug,
That's actually part of their behavior. They're constantly moving around on the ground looking for ants.

I would agree with Axel that what's missing is room for the imaginary / virtual feet.

Raymond Barlow
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
yes, more room at the bottom, and these characters live in the grass hunting for ants... I read somewhere that they can take as many as 5,000 ants per day!

Nice image.