PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shrike

Tim King
03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Took this a few weeks back during a blustery cold-snap.
50D | 300mm F4L IS + 1.4TC | HH
ISO 500, f6.3, 1/1600

Great photos everyone.

vishaljadhav
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Nice perch, interesting bg color
The bird is nicely captured with good details , the shrike eye is always a challenge and its nicely executed here.
lovely image

Sidharth Kodikal
03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
As good as it gets, Tim. Stunning light and perfect exposure. The perch and bg are both great and I like your comp. Terrific image.

Don Lacy
03-06-2013, 01:54 PM
nice exposure and I really like how the BG colors compliment the subject. A bit more head turn would have been nice just a few more degrees and I would alos be tempted to clone out the other reeds.

gail bisson
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
I really like the perch(es) and the BG.
I would do another round of NR on the BG and increase the saturation by a point or two on the BG.
This would also look nice as a vertical if you have (a lot) more of the reed.
I see a hint of pink on the lores area. Is this how it should be or is there a slight pink cast?
A very nice image with good exposure.
Gail

Shawn Zierman
03-06-2013, 05:54 PM
All I can say to this is saaaweeeet!
This is such a difficult subject to photograph eye level with great background control like this (normally).
The focal length you achieved this with is phenomenal. But please, what's the story? Car as blind?
Favorite perch? I gots to know! :) Awesome shot sir.

Satish Ranadive
03-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Tim:
Excellent image.
Love the exposure,colors,perch and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Jon Swanson
03-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Timeh! Nicely done buddy!

Tim King
03-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Timeh! Nicely done buddy!

HAHAHA good one. Thanks.

David Salem
03-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Very nice shot Tim. The exposure and details are awesome. Cool perch and nice complementary BG. I have never seen a Shrike with that scale pattern on the chest. Well done

PhilCook
03-07-2013, 02:33 AM
Nice light on this one as are the fine details, perch is rather good and backdrop is very nice, great photography !......only thing I find that may.....or may not need improving is to me it looks a little bottom heavy to me so a small crop from the bottom would i feel balance it out a little better

Jonathan Ashton
03-07-2013, 04:53 AM
Very nice image, I like the profile image, the brightest highlights are a little hot, I am sure you could fix that and then I think there would be even more detail. Not too sure about the seed heads, an odd number is usually the way to go also it looks a little central, possibly crop a little from the left?

Daniel Cadieux
03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
A difficult subject for sure, and I too am curious how this happened! I'm Ok with the inclusion of the three dry mullein heads. Very cool BG. I see some hot whites, especially near the base of the tail and some on the lower belly. I could also see a version with a wee bit more room above (and then left and right to retain ratio). The scaling on the chest denotes a young individual. Congrats man, I'd love this in my files.

Frank Schauf
03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Beautiful portrait, great pose and colors.