PDA

View Full Version : Dead Snag - Venice Rookery

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Created during Artie's SW FLA IPT a few weeks back. I co-lead with Denise Ippolito on the IPT.

Created at Venice Rookery. I am sure some will find this "too" busy, but looking at it thru the lens, the BG dropped off into darkness and I immediately saw this as B&W. Processed in CS5 and Nik Silver Effects Pro. Background foliage darkened on purpose to make the snag stand out.

Canon 5D Mark III
Canon 600mm f/4 IS
1/400 sec, f/10
Mode: Manual
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 800

Roger Clark
03-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Hi Robert,

I must say, nicely done, and what a way to make the most of that snag, which was really annoying when I was there! The B&W really works with the texture.

Roger

Rachel Hollander
03-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Robert - the first thing I noticed was the texture which I think pops because of the b&w conversion. Nicely seen and accomplished.

TFS,
Rachel

Grady Weed
03-08-2013, 05:24 PM
A B&W always outdoes a color image if properly done, and this one does it Robert. The somewhat blurred and darkened background really sets off the foreground here. I do not think it too busy. Perhaps a great egret might have made it even beter. Maybe the next version of PS will let you auto put one in eh! :2eyes2:

Valerio Tarone
03-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Robert ,the first impression was confusion of branchs, later I realised a good texture. Yes the B&w\works well as the BG is blurred.I agree with Grady that something more as an egret or a rock on one side shuld enhance the strenght of the image.

Morkel Erasmus
03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Interesting concept - it does work for me Robert - though I have to agree with Grady, another 'element' would have been next level :S3:.
I like the deep blacks and bright whites.

Andrew McLachlan
03-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Hi Robert,

Good call to go B&W with this one and just enough reflection showing in the water in the foreground. Nice work!