PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Florida on the river

Cheryl Slechta
03-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Tampa has been lighting their bridges over the Hillsborough River at night. This shot was taken on the University of Tampa campus looking toward the Photography Museum.
Taken with my Canon 5D Mk III and 24-105 lens, f/5.6, 8 sec., ISO 100, +.3EV. Fixed perspective a tad in PS5 and tweaked WB to make it a little cooler.
Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated.:S3:

Don Railton
03-05-2013, 11:29 PM
hi Cheryl.

I like the composition and the colour you have captured here. The wall and river draw you into the shot nicely. I quite like cityscapes as they often have lots of detail and colour... like this one.. I do find this not quite as sharp as I would have expected however, but I bet the raw image is. I also see some bleeding of colours (see the red sign at the top of the round building) which suggests maybe the processing is not quite right and compromising the IQ.

I would normally shoot a scene like this at a larger F stop (maybe F12 to F16) especially so considering the foreground wall in the lower RH corner. This will require a longer shutter and make the good reflections even stronger.

thanks for showing

DON

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Cheryl I always feel out of my depth when critiquing cityscapes, especially at night, as we don't have city scenes that look like this in South Africa so I have no idea how it should look in reality.

I do like the perspective here, but feel it could be a little bit darker overall? The inclusion of the moon is a nice touch, would have loved a little more "moonstar" which you could have achieved by shooting one frame at f22 for the moon and blending that moon back into this frame.

Cheryl Slechta
03-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Thanks, guys, I need to go back and look at my RAW files. I was going through them last night and I have ones that address the issues. IQ on them looks great - I don't know what happened to this when I posted it. Unfortunately I didn't notice it then.:S3:

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2013, 07:38 AM
I would agree with the above comments. Thanks for posting here.

I think toning down the brightness and the lights will help a lot.

Rachel Hollander
03-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Cheryl - good comments and suggestions above. Hopefully you'll post more here in landscapes.

TFS,
Rachel