PDA

View Full Version : Water and Ice

Rachel Hollander
03-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Went on a short hike with friends last week hoping to test out my new 300 2.8 II but we didn't see a single critter (no birds or even squirrels) so I decided to shoot a flowing stream with some ice.

Canon 5D3
300 2.8 II
0.5 sec
f22
ISO 22
Tripod, levels, curves, selective color, dodging and burning, cloned out part of a stray stick at edge, Hougaard Malan action and sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
03-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Sorry, that was ISO 100

Cheryl Slechta
03-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Rachel, I love the combination of ice and flowing water. I think I'd evict that stem on the lower left side that bisects the ice formation.

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Congrats on the new glass, Rachel!! :5 Bet you can't wait to lug it over to my side of the world :cheers:

I like the comp and idea here, just feel the IQ is a bit lacking? Not sure why? One thing could be darks are a bit too dark - some subtle shadow recovery needed?
I'm not sure if it's diffraction that becomes an issue using an aperture like f22 on a 300mm lens, but sharpness isn't quite there, though DOF seems to be?
:e3

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Rachel,

W/o a full range of DOF here, I don't feel this image can work. Overall it looks unsharp so perhaps it is a processing issue and not DOF.

Don Lacy
03-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Hi Rachel, At f/22 you will lose apparent sharpness due to diffraction but it can be recovered somewhat in post since most of the lost is due to the reduce contrast caused by diffraction. You just need to get more aggressive on you're sharpening. I resharpen your image using Photo Kit plugin and while I feel it did a nice job on most of the image I think the foreground rock is slightly out of the DOF range. I think your best option with this image would have been to shoot several images at f/8 while varying the focus and stacking them in PS.

Rachel Hollander
03-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Don - thanks for the repost and congrats on becoming a moderator.

Rachel