PDA

View Full Version : Great Crested Grebe

Frank Schauf
03-04-2013, 04:28 AM
First are there for 2013.

Canon EOS 1DMIV, Canon EF 600mm/4L IS II USM, 1/800 sec., f/5.6, ISO 800, Gitzo GT5541LS with Sachtler FSB 8

vishaljadhav
03-04-2013, 05:12 AM
Nice image, i wish you had a bit more of shutter speed on this one, the head is perfectly in focus and looks amazing
lovely pose, the eye is surely a highlight for me making it special

Jonathan Ashton
03-04-2013, 05:14 AM
Super quality, the detail and exposure are excellent, colour rendition spot on, and an interesting pose. Good choice of shutter speed providing slight movement in the wings. I think the composition is OK but I feel it may be improved slightly by a small crop to the base and adding a little to the top and perhaps if possible, including a little more of the ripples to the left.
You have got me thinking about the grebes in my locality, I will pay a visit as soon as we get some light.

Gerald Kelberg
03-04-2013, 05:15 AM
Lovely image, Frank!

Grebe looks wonderfully sharp and I like the movement in the wing with clear head. Looks like you are enjoying a new 600mm II!

I would perhaps crop the bottom to halve the amount of foreground, as the nearest part of the reflection is a slight distraction.

Looking forward to getting out on my local ponds for the grebes, also!

Best wishes,

Gerald

Karl Egressy
03-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Nice plapping pose captured, Frank. The head and body are nice and sharp and the blurred wings indicate motion.

Bill Dix
03-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Very nice take-off; I love the fact that the head is clear and sharp. I certainly don't mind the wing blur, but wonder if the head might have been even sharper with a little more SS. I agree that a little off the bottom and added to the top could help the presentation. But a fine shot as presented.

Stu Bowie
03-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Hi Frank, well timed for the wingflap, and sharp where it counts. The exposure is spot on, and you have brought out the detail nicely. I agree, a touch off the bottom wont harm this. :w3

MohsenVahedipour
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Nice pose & sharp head & body. Very well exposed. Agree about increasing SS & composition suggestions. TFS Frank

Daniel Cadieux
03-04-2013, 12:46 PM
The face and eye look great, and the water movement in front of the belly is pretty cool too. I'm OK with the movement in the wings. Love the subdued light! I agree cropping from the bottom would strengthen the comp. Do you have a frame with the wings stretched pointing towards the back?

nick clayton
03-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Nice lighting and flapping pose Frank, good colours especially the eye.

dankearl
03-04-2013, 08:57 PM
i don't mind the blurred wings a bit, nice sense of motion.
The head and eye are very nice as is the usual nice IQ from you.

PhilCook
03-04-2013, 10:02 PM
The blurred wings add life to the image, but the rest of the body/head is sharp so all looks good in that respect. Liking a lot the water droplets and splash made by the feet, composition in the frame looks good to me and the pale backdrop is smooth and doesn't compete with the main subject....nicely done Frank

Diane Miller
03-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Normally I'd like as much reflection as possible, but this one looks like added canvas at the bottom with content-aware fill -- a repeating pattern. I'd crop it to get rid of that. But why add more to the top -- nothing is happening there. Especially with more off the bottom, adding to the top wouldn't help anything.

christopher galeski
03-05-2013, 12:33 AM
nice one Frank,like the soft light,good exposure,wing blur adds motion,agree with the crop suggestions.

Frank Schauf
03-05-2013, 02:46 AM
Thanks for many comments.

The face and eye look great, and the water movement in front of the belly is pretty cool too. I'm OK with the movement in the wings. Love the subdued light! I agree cropping from the bottom would strengthen the comp. Do you have a frame with the wings stretched pointing towards the back?

Yes I have see here (http://www.wildlifefoto.eu/forum/1DMIV_005690s.jpg).

Steve Maxson
03-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi Frank. Nice action shot with good sharpness on the body and I like the overcast light. Like Daniel, I was wondering about other wing positions - to my eye, the second image you have linked to above - with the wings stretched back - is a stronger image. :S3:

Robert Holguin
03-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Excellent action shot!!!
Love the flapping pose, sharp where it needs to be, great shooting angle, and nice light.
Very well done.