PDA

View Full Version : Monroe (C)

dankearl
03-04-2013, 12:46 AM
A young Lowland Gorilla at the San Diego Wildlife Park.
18 months old, I first saw him a year ago.
He just strikes me as sad for some reason, they have a nice Captive area, hard to photograph because
of the orientation and time of day you can see them.
By the time they are out of harsh sun, they are in shadows, thus the low SS.

1/60, iso400, 280mm, (70/200 w/ 1.7 tc), D7000, Handheld

DSC_0933bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125467&stc=1&d=1362375891)

Rachel Hollander
03-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Hi Dan - Nice view of the youngster and adult with good sharpness despite the slow ss. Shooting at zoos can be difficult at times especially with light orientation and strength. I'd prefer a bit more room below but not a deal breaker.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
03-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Dan,

Having been there I know what you are saying on the shooting conditions. I feel the running at you downhill takes away from the image as the adult is looking down.

Steve Kaluski
03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi Dan, certainly 1/60 is not ideal, but understand your situation.

Difficult to tell how sharp the image is at this size, but parking that aside, I might suggest dropping the yellow overall, plus, using a channel curves adjustment and inverting, as it brings a bit more depth to the overall subjects. Now I'm away and viewing on the laptop so I could be wrong. As presented I would loose some space above, but agree on Roberts observation about the subjects looking down due to to the downhill motion.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Hi Dan,

nice image, great suggestions above. For the 1/60 it is sharp :w3
I agree with Robert with the downhill, but hey, we cannot have everything :t3

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
03-08-2013, 02:04 AM
I have never photographed in zoos but I can appreciate the challenges that would bring.
I like the blurry feel with the sharp faces, but like others above I feel the POV is detracting from the potential impact of this photo.
As far as zoo/captive shots go I have to say it's one of the better ones I've seen :5