PDA

View Full Version : Pine Glades Lake

Harold Davis
04-29-2008, 07:51 PM
the wife said she likes this one and to post it. so here it is. taken about a month ago in everglades national park.

D300, 18-200VR at 18mm, f/22, 1/200s, ISO 200, 0EV.

comments and critiques appreciated

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Very pretty composition Harold and I agree with your wife I like it too. Great DOF and I love how the sun breaks through the incredible sky and cloud formations. I have a real weakness for sun rays and you did a fine job on this one. Congrats !!

Paul Marcellini
04-30-2008, 08:20 AM
I love those rays Harold. I always forget that the sun can do nice things before it sets. =) Composition works for me but I was thinking b/w. The blown areas won't be as noticeable.

Robert Amoruso
04-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Harold,

Good composition - I like the line fo the shore from the FG of the image leading you back and right. I would like to see the rest of the rocks on the FG right (I do understand that more rocks may be below them so diminishing returns on framing - as when to stop including).

Not sure how I feel about the blown out sun. I do find it distracting. I have been doing surfscapes with extreme blown out suns (soon to be posted - maybe) and debating if I like them. I feel they might work given the minimalistic look of the image; just sun and surf in long shutter speed. Here, I think you have this nice scenic and the sun is a very bright spot grabbing the viewer's attention too much.

Paul B&W suggestion is worth investigating.

Gus Cobos
04-30-2008, 12:37 PM
With all that was said, I don't know what to say!!!:eek: :D Mr. Harold you have complimented Mother Nature very nicely. Love that sun burst through the smokey clouds...:)
A BIG CONGRATS buddy; This is better than my sunset at Anhinga, My green hat off to you...:D:D:D Keep them coming.

Bob Ettinger
04-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Nice leading lines and those sun ray really make it for me. I could go without the blown sun but that is the way it is

Harold Davis
04-30-2008, 02:13 PM
thanks for the comments everyone!! i got some ideas on how to control that blown are. will give it a try.

Roman Kurywczak
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Hi Harold,
I'm late to the party today! If you can control the sun a bit.....that would be great. I think Paul may be onto something with the B&W. You have a little lensflare between one of the rays. Id work the FG & BG separately when you do the corrections for more control. Looking forward to the repost,
Roman

Harold Davis
04-30-2008, 04:08 PM
i worked the hotspots as best i could. anymore than what i did and it really started going downhill. hope you like the conversion!! it is pretty cool.

Paul Marcellini
04-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Ok, I do like the bw much better. Hope you don't mind, I gave a quick go as well. I did a bw layer from the original on auto actaully and then dodged and burned a bit. (My fav moethod is new layer, soft light mode, then paint with a brush at around 20% opacity-black=darker, white=lighter) Then hit it with brightness/contrast. They say its a horrible tool but I love it. I usually mask off areas when I use it though.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2ica78x.jpg

Harold Davis
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
nice job!! i like it. i was torn as to what to do with the fg. i like the lighter version better. thanks!!