PDA

View Full Version : Broad-billed Hummingbird close up 2nd try

Lorant Voros
03-03-2013, 01:18 PM
This morning I tried the Broad Billed Hummer again with the stacked extension tube set, this time using the diffuser of the flash as it was suggested. The lighting situation is different in this image. I had to use a strong jpeg compression to fit into the file size limit and it shows on the BG. Comments are welcome.

1DMKIV
500mm +1.4TC
Stacked Kenko tubes, all 3 of them.
Flash with it's build in diffuser
Distance from bird about 2m
Tripod
ISO1600
F:13
1/300

Randy Stout
03-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Lorant:

Quite striking, with enough iridescence and the catchlight to make it work. Nice comp as well.

Cheers

Randy

Miguel Palaviccini
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Lorant,

Really liking the highlights around the edges. Like Randy mentioned, the iridescence in the neck feathers are a big plus.

I only wish for a bit of fill light, just a tad.

Miguel

Jonathan Ashton
03-03-2013, 03:40 PM
I like the image very much the colours are very pleasing and it is fascinating to see the bird up so close. I agree the background is just a tad crunchy - it's a super image maybe consider a repost using a different resize approach??

Marina Scarr
03-03-2013, 06:35 PM
A very unique capture indeed, and I really like it. I have never seen a hummer up this close. Love all the colors and those amazing details. The rim lighting is interesting as well. Would have liked to see what this would look like with a little fill as well.

Lorant Voros
03-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Marina and Miguel. When you say you wish for more fill do you mean more intensity in the flash or some natural light? It was a back lit bird, that is why the interesting lighting. I could increase the flash intensity, but I am afraid it would get over flashed. Please specify.

Karl Egressy
03-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Excellent portrait shot of a hummingbird. Well lit, well composed, Lorant.

Stu Bowie
03-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi Lorant, lovely close up shown the varoius colours of iridescence. Good show of backlighting.