PDA

View Full Version : WOODY WOODPECKERS

Marina Scarr
03-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Photographing this pileated woodpecker nest was one of the highlights of my 2012. These female siblings were such a riot. They and the adults gave us many laughs and an education to boot. They spent about 13 days at the nest cavity before fledging. They were curious, comical, aggressive, rambunctious and always famished.

Learned a lot about flash during this shoot thanks to a good friend of mine. Used a few points of black on a selective color layer to remove the blue cast in the eyes caused by the fill flash.

Canon 1D3, Canon 500 & 2xTC
F10, 1/200sec, ISO 640, filll, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
Florida Master Naturalist
http://marinascarrphotography.com (http://marinascarrphotography.com/)

Karl Egressy
03-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Nice image, the birds look great but I find that you have too much tree trunk, Marina.
I would try a vertical. If you have more canvas, I would put them higher in and would add canvas (tree trunk) to the bottom.
The little guys look amazing with their red poll.

Mark Jones
03-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Lovely image Marina with the woodpeckers looking opposite ways. I'm thinking along the same lines as Karl, a vertical post might be better here. Great job on the fill flash, it is almost undetectable.

Mike Tracy
03-02-2013, 10:00 PM
I like the juxtaposition of the birds, alert look, little feet gripping is cute and you did good with the 2x and relative sharpness. I agree with going vertical since your subjects are positioned as such.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-02-2013, 10:04 PM
What a fun image, Marina. This duo looks mischievous, and the nest looks cozy.
I would stay with the horizontal, as they're looking to the sides. If anything, I'd crop a bit from the top, but fine as is imo.
A warming filter works beautifully on this image - removes the cool temp from the flash.
Great use of the 2x.

jack williamson
03-02-2013, 11:17 PM
It must have been quite fun to watch these two grow to fledge. I love how they are looking in opposite directions. I think the crop could work either way.

Loi Nguyen
03-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Marina, what a cute image. Im with Siddahrth, horizontal crop works for me. I think the tree trunk is a bit dominant. Perhaps darken it a little bit?

David Salem
03-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Fun shot featuring these two characters. Like the fact that they are looking in opposite directions. Techs look great and I would take off some off the top to lessen the trees impact. Nice work.

Satish Ranadive
03-03-2013, 03:19 AM
Very very sweet image with very nice composition.Love the poses of little ones,grip of claws on bark with nice texture.
Silver line of the top will not hurt the beauty of the image.

Regards,
Satish.

Stu Bowie
03-03-2013, 05:28 AM
Hi Marina, well timed to capture the opposite HA's, and the subtle fill flash has exposed them nicely. Im fine with the comp as is, and I do like the hint of their feet.

gail bisson
03-03-2013, 05:54 AM
The "ying and yang" positions are wonderful. They make the image unusual and eye catching.
I think I would take a bit off both sides. I will make the comp square but I think it works because of the circle in the middle. This is the type of shot where we will all have slightly different opinions!
Like the little feet,
Gail

Jonathan Ashton
03-03-2013, 09:51 AM
What a super image I love the two peeping out and looking in opposite directions, an unusual image and one which can be gained with either a lot of luck or patience or both, clearly you put considerable time and effort into the subject and your patience was duly rewarded with a super image.

Marina Scarr
03-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Thank you all for your insightful comments and critiques. It has been very helpful to me, as well as eye opening. As and ye shall receive. I offer below a square crop and in the next post, the vertical option. I would appreciate you chiming on your preferences. Thank you.

Marina Scarr
03-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Now here is the vertical.

Karl Egressy
03-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I likeboth Marina. The point has been I guess that you give more emphasis to thebirds.<o:p></o:p>

Grace Scalzo
03-03-2013, 12:58 PM
I have such a strong preference for the vertical. Love the character of the wood and to my eye it is much more evident in the vertial presentation. What a nice image, Marina.

gail bisson
03-03-2013, 01:11 PM
I suggested square but vertical is clearly the winner for me!
Lovely. IQ on birds looks better as well,
Gail

Randy Stout
03-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Marina:

the vertical repost in #14 for sure.

About 5 years ago I had a nest at just above eye level in my backyard. Didn't have enough reach to do it justice, but had a great time watching them grow. The mom was lost during the upbringing, but dad kept working hard, and the chicks all fledged. I look every year to see if I can capture them again, but since they never use the same nest twice, it can be a challenge.

Thanks for the smiles and memories.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
03-03-2013, 02:21 PM
I would go for vertical, I think it is more aesthetically pleasing also the birds do appear slightly sharper to me, additionally I think the image has more contrast though I am not sure if this is merely an optimal illusion.

Steve Maxson
03-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Hi Marina. Like the others, I love the poses with the heads pointing in opposite directions and the claws gripping the edge of the hole. My vote would be for the vertical comp. To my eye, the image looks just a bit "flashed" - apparently a minority opinion as the others have not mentioned it. :S3: You might try upping the blacks just a little on the upper section of the heads. A charming image!

Rachel Hollander
03-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi Marina - a special shot with them looking in opposite directions. The vertical comp works best for me as well.

TFS,
Rachel

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Im on the vertical boat as well. It jus feels more natural to me although I was happy with the OP till I saw the repost. Great shot. I would be so happy to have this in my collection. I especially love the opposite ha's and the little feet showing.

Steve Uffman
03-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Wonderful image. Only improvement would be if they were ivory billed!:bg3: