PDA

View Full Version : Cold Winters Evening

Mike Tracy
03-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Im using you knowledgeable folks as a means to determine the viability of certain recent images from Ottawa that I am on the fence with. I figure anyone can post their best stuff but I would rather use you guys as a sounding board on the iffy ones.

What are your opinions with this image as presented or would you crop right below the trees? Is it a keeper or toss it altogether ? My feelings cant be hurt so dont pull any punches whenever I post.

MLKIII, 1/250,f/9,ISO 800, 73mm

Miguel Palaviccini
03-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Mike,

If it were mine, I would ask myself if the treeline adds to the image. IMO, it does not. I think this would be nicer as a wider shot. Taking maybe even a little off the bottom too.

I think, in general, the image is a bit flat. While the owl is the clear subject, he blends in too much with the rest of the image. I would attribute this to the flat light.

Just my thoughts.

Miguel

gail bisson
03-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Hi MIke,
I have looked at this for quite a while and I very much like the environmental aspect of the shot. It really shows where these GGO's hang out.
I would crop a bit off the bottom.
I tried the crop below the trees and it really changes the feel of the image from warm to cool.I prefer warm.
My first thought when I saw this was this would be awesome if shot for HDR. I don't suppose you shot at -1/3 and +1/3 from these settings? It would be nice to have more light on the GGO and I don't feel comfortable in flashing owls so shooting to expose the owl at +1/3 or +2/3 would have been great.
I would selectively reduce the exposure on the sky to bring out the colors and increase the exposure on the GGO.
I think this is a keeper with some tweaks,
Gail

Marina Scarr
03-02-2013, 12:32 PM
This is a keeper all day long for me. I love the environmental feel and all of the different elements of the environment. I would take a sliver off of the right side up to remove the very thn grass but keep the larger one and then a little heavier crop off of the bottom. Love the light shining through all the trees. I am okay with the exposure on the GGO where it is b/c it is sunset or just after.

Randy Stout
03-02-2013, 02:11 PM
MIKE:

A keeper for sure. Before looking at other folks comments, I was going to suggest a neutral density gradient over the top to darken the sky and show a little more detail there. This will also make the owl appear brighter, but as has been mentioned, I would lighten the owl just a bit selectively, crop a bit off bottom and right. I did a version with those changes when you first posted your image, and liked the result. I use Color Efex Detail extractor over the owl to make him pop just a bit from the foreground.

For me I would def. leave the sky.

Cheers

Randy

Uri First
03-02-2013, 02:16 PM
beautiful image, loved the magic atmosphere.

Marina Scarr
03-02-2013, 06:28 PM
PS: I love the windblown look and the fact that I can see those talons. The BG might be a tad oversharpened now that I am viewing from my desktop monitor.

Mike Tracy
03-02-2013, 07:38 PM
MIKE:

A keeper for sure. Before looking at other folks comments, I was going to suggest a neutral density gradient over the top to darken the sky and show a little more detail there. This will also make the owl appear brighter, but as has been mentioned, I would lighten the owl just a bit selectively, crop a bit off bottom and right. I did a version with those changes when you first posted your image, and liked the result. I use Color Efex Detail extractor over the owl to make him pop just a bit from the foreground.

For me I would def. leave the sky.

Randy

Randy if you havent deleted it would you post your version please ?
Cheers

Sidharth Kodikal
03-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Most definitely a keeper, Mike, and I like it a lot. I would definitely keep the sky and the trees.
I love the habitat, the bird placement. The bird shows a blue cast on my monitor, but I haven't seen this bird so take it fwiw.

Satish Ranadive
03-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Magnificent GGO scape. Great environment, both warm and cool.Love the frame.
Definitely keeper.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
03-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Hi Mike, I tried a few sunset images like this too recently...some that I like and may post. The sky should definitely remain here, but it could be toned down. I would crop away about half the FG, and not sharpen the cattails. I imagine you were with Marc...next time you are up here we may just cross paths!