PDA

View Full Version : Back Lit Grey

Mike Tracy
03-01-2013, 06:02 AM
Not sure if the apparent noise detracts to the point of the file not working which is why I am looking for honest opinions. In hind site I wish I hadn't been lazy and had toted my flash for a little fill but traveling light in -21* weather was on the forefront of this Fl. boys mind.

MKIII, 1/1250, f/5.6, ISO 800, 125mm

gail bisson
03-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Hi Mike,
This image is not working for me unfortunately. You needed your flash to pull this one off.
Agree with your self critique.
Looking forward to more,
Gail

Bill Dix
03-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Interesting shot. Kudos for just being out there and trying this. Some fill flash would have helped immensely (if it even works at -21).

arash_hazeghi
03-01-2013, 11:14 AM
this one isn't working for me, owl is way too dark and noisy.

You don't need a flash for owls and it wouldn't work because it will give you funny-looking eyes and all kinds of reflections from the snow, just use high ISO.

Frank Schauf
03-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Great light and flight pose.

PhilCook
03-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Have to agree regarding the lack of light on the main body, but great idea with the backlit wings against the snow

Dan Brown
03-01-2013, 08:02 PM
In this situation, a flash would have probably improved the noisey look. I really like the OOTB feel of this, Mike. I would suggest playing with it and some OOTB filters (topaz, fract, etc) and just accept it as OOTB and post it there! It is very different and creative looking! One thing, if you decide to go the creative route, I would remove the cattails that are touching the wing on the left. The more I look at this, the more I like it!

Marina Scarr
03-01-2013, 08:12 PM
I love the fact that you tried something different, Mike, and backlighting was a good option. I think I would like this better if the backlit portion were not so red/orange.

Mike Tracy
03-02-2013, 08:46 AM
You don't need a flash for owls and it wouldn't work because it will give you funny-looking eyes and all kinds of reflections from the snow, just use high ISO.

I admit that photographing owls with flash poses challenges but it can be done as I have many images of Barreds and GHO without funky eyes. As far as the snow I dont have enough experience shooting in it to disagree.

Thanks for the yays and nays folks. I can see this file doesnt stand on its own but will try and get creative with it down the road.

arash_hazeghi
03-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Hi Mike, I shot in the same location with even lower light...the high ISO is best way to go, if you flash in falling snow it will bounce creating oof white blubs all over the image plus you don't need a flash to get a high quality file. The MK4 can easily handle 3200, you just need to improve your processing :S3:

Marina Scarr
03-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Hi Mike, I shot in the same location with even lower light...the high ISO is best way to go, if you flash in falling snow it will bounce creating oof white blubs all over the image plus you don't need a flash to get a high quality file. The MK4 can easily handle 3200, you just need to improve your processing :S3:

Mike uses a 1D3 not a 1D4.

arash_hazeghi
03-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Mike uses a 1D3 not a 1D4.

sorry for my mistake, I agree high ISO with MKIII would be tough...