PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Rufous

Evan Cain
03-01-2013, 01:31 AM
I like how the bird is in shade and the BG Japanese maples are lit up by the sunset. Thoughts appreciated!

400mm
f/5.6~1/160~ISO 400~Tripod
Nectar Feeder

gail bisson
03-01-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi Evan,
A nice front on shot of this little hummer.
I agree that the BG is really nice.
I wish for a better IQ and more DOF. Is this a big crop?
Gail

Peter Dexter
03-01-2013, 07:40 AM
It certainly is a great combination of colors. Very nice catch.

Evan Cain
03-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi Evan,
A nice front on shot of this little hummer.
I agree that the BG is really nice.
I wish for a better IQ and more DOF. Is this a big crop?
Gail

I think the loss in IQ is from the shallow DOF. I had to shoot wide open because the bird was in the shade, but couldn't boost my iso to 800 because the Rebels don't handle it well at all. This is not a crop.

PhilCook
03-01-2013, 06:23 PM
I do like this, very cute and appealing. A bit different than most Hummingbird images we see , the clean colorful backdrop works in nicely. Myself, I like the shallow dof in this with the blurry wings, but I would add a touch more sharpening to the head/neck region and maybe clone out the little bit of wing blur on the left above the main wing.

Marina Scarr
03-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Love the movement created with the wings here. Your composition works well and the colors are quite unique and striking. I can't comment on the IQ b/c I am on my iPad, but the gorgette looks pretty darn sharp from this vantage point.

Shawn Zierman
03-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Sweet natural light hummer image. Love the color scheme.
Confused, in the OP you stated iso400, then in reply to Gail's comment, you stated iso800...?

Evan Cain
03-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Sweet natural light hummer image. Love the color scheme.
Confused, in the OP you stated iso400, then in reply to Gail's comment, you stated iso800...?

I was saying that I wasn't able increase my aperture to increase the DOF and IQ because my camera doesn't handle ISO 800 very well. If I had wanted to change my aperture to f/7.1 (which would have been enough to get tail sharp), then my shutter speed would have dropped too low and I would have had to boost my ISO to 800 to get it back up.