PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron with a Great catch.

Mike Delgado
02-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Cloudy & windy day at Viera wetlands but managed to get this guy with dinner.

Diane Miller
02-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Great "catch" by both of you. Did it manage to SWALLOW that thing? Head-first, I hope. Wonder how the spines feel in the stomach?

Mike Delgado
02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Yes he swallowed the whole fish head first. I have more pics that shows this. I will post later.

Thanks for your comments

Great "catch" by both of you. Did it manage to SWALLOW that thing? Head-first, I hope. Wonder how the spines feel in the stomach?

Mark Jones
02-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Nice image. Hard to believe the GBH could choke that monster down at all but I've seen it done too.

Grace Scalzo
02-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Lots to like here, Mike. Great subject(s) and action. I feel as if the contast could be lowered just a bit. As the fish is equally important as the heron, I'd consider lightening his (or her) head a bit. I'm not sold on the composition, wish for more space on the right, less on top, and less on the left. What do you think?

Jim Crosswell
03-01-2013, 11:44 AM
I like the sharpness and catch of the day. Some good suggestions above. I feel it needs a litlle CW rotation as well. Nice image Mike.

Frank Schauf
03-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Great scene and setting you have here.

PhilCook
03-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Stunning feather detail in this and composed in the frame nicely, great behavioral shot, I don't think I've ever actually ever seen a bird impale a fish in this manner before, that beak is quite some weapon ! Ideally a less washed out looking backdrop would be nicer, but that's the way it goes sometimes with birding