Melissa Groo
02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Canon 1D4
500mm +1.4x
Gitzo 3530LS/Wimberley

ISO 500
f/9.0
1/640

I took this in early January at a very well known Great Horned Owl nest in the Tampa area. A couple weeks later, two little owlets were born. They have been photographed by many many photographers. I didn't get to see them, but I was fond of this moment, to capture her resting so sweetly against the tree, steadfastly incubating her eggs. It was a cloudy cool day but for about three minutes the sun came out and lit her up. I took this standing outside the roped off area that is there to keep anyone from getting too close.
The crop is my big question here. I am going to post the original to see if people think it should be done differently.
I did some burning of the trunks to darken them. Sharpening and levels.
Thanks kindly in advance for any and all feedback.

Melissa Groo
02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
and here is the original

Daniel Cadieux
02-28-2013, 12:11 PM
A tender moment you got. Your processing of the file looks good - good call toning down the tree. I love the green BG between the two trunks. I could do without the tiny twig neat the top of the frame but all else looks good to me.

vishaljadhav
02-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Nice image, i like the way you cropped it, the bird sleeping looks cute
The color on the tree trunk looks impressive

Loi Nguyen
02-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Melisa, I too like the crop. You cropped away the bottom, but left enough nest materials to show that she was sleeping in the nest,a nd you left the nice green BG on top. Very cute.

Mark Jones
02-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi Melisa,

North Beach at Fort Desoto behind the orange fence and shot from the south side of the tree! I was there this past Monday and couldn't get a decent shot of the one owlet still in the nest from that angle as he was facing the other way. Instead I had to shoot into the sunlight from the north side in HDR to get any kind of image. I think I posted my image yesterday or the day before. The owl looks so peaceful in the warm sunshine.

Andrew Merwin
02-28-2013, 04:57 PM
A agree with Daniel; especially re. the small horizontal twig. I like the crop as well. I also like the OOF pine branch & needles that arch over the owl. It is nice to see a "Tiger Owl" in repose.

Dennis Zaebst
02-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Great composition putting the owl & nest near the bottom of the frame. Very well done, Melissa.

Steve Maxson
02-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi Melissa. Hmmm, I thought that bird looked familiar - I was there too - in late January when two small chicks were in the nest. It looks like you captured optimal lighting and I like what you've done with the crop and toning down the tree trunk. I would agree with Daniel about the small twig - it's just noticeable enough to draw my eye. Otherwise, this is very nicely done!

Grace Scalzo
02-28-2013, 09:06 PM
I would crop to just below that horizontal twig and then trim accordingly from the right. To me, that gives a bit more intimate feel while retaining the story that you are telling. As is, my eye keeps drifting upward and away from the owl. I love your colors.

gail bisson
03-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Hi Melissa,
This is so sweet. Good vision with this one.
I would crop a bit tighter and get rid of the twig on the RHS.
Good IQ as well.
Gail

Frank Schauf
03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Great pose and colors.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
03-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I love her peaceful resting pose here. Boy if she only knew what was to come LOL 2 chicks and lotsa sitting time. Can't beat the golden light
I say a little tighter as well