PDA

View Full Version : Genre change - nature to general

Gloria Hopkins
02-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Good morning all. Serious questions call for serious answers so I come here with them, and let me apologize in advance for the length of this post.

I am wondering if anyone has switched their online image from one genre to another. I have been online as a nature photographer since 2000 and my site is dedicated strictly to nature photography. The main reason people visit my site, however, is to read my articles on photo composition and design. According to my stats and search terms, nature photography is not included in the phrases that bring people to my site. The terms used are "using lines," "beauty in art" and so on. Rarely do I see anything about nature photography in my search terms. They are all design terms.

According to my stats 99% of my visitors come to my site for the articles. And I am currently getting requests from other well respected photogs. to have their articles listed on my articles page. IOW, my reputation as author far exceeds that of photographer and painter, which is the emphasis now.

After 13 years in nature photography I am considering an online image change from nature to general photography. I'm over showcasing and sharing my photographs and need to start making money. (I can't do workshops - too hot tempered.) I have one very successful nature photography book out (taught in two colleges), and the book I'm working on now is a version of that book, converted for general photographers. With this new book it is my intent to 'break into' the general photography genre.

My other problem is that I'm also a painter, and half of my online images are traditional paintings and drawings of nature subjects, so all those images would be left out of the new 'general photography' site completely. The problem here is that, I think my understanding of image design is backed up by the fact that I am a traditional artist and know how to put together an image from scratch. To have this left out of my site would be to have those skills and knowledge ignored by my readers.

So - the plan is to have a new, much smaller website for general photography photos, my book(s) pages, and the articles pages.

My questions are these: 1) has anyone successfully done this, 2) are there any obvious pitfalls that I am not seeing, and 3) of course, I am looking for any and all advice.

Thanks for your time and consideration!
Gloria www.gloriahopkins.com