PDA

View Full Version : Another Simple Portrait

Rachel Hollander
02-27-2013, 10:18 PM
This time in B&W. Taken in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa.

Canon 7D
100-400 @ 330mm
1/400
f5.6
ISO 800
EC +.67
HH from safari vehicle, cropped and converted to B&W, levels, curves, selective color, burning and dodging adjustments and sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Hi Rachel, thought I would quickly swing by, seems the forum is a little quiet, is everyone away? :S3:

Nice conversion and I crop works although I might just take some off the top. The BKG is a little to the left of the face, but nothing you could have done as the distance between the two was probably quite little. You could add some blur, but then the whiskers would be an issue. Like the concentrating gaze.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
02-28-2013, 04:38 AM
Nice detail and "pensive" gaze here, Rachel. Conversion works for me (though I might be tempted to dodge the midtones on the cat a bit - should add more separation from the BG).
Do you have a sliver more space on the LHS where the hair is touching the edge?

Brendon Cremer
02-28-2013, 05:49 AM
Nice image and conversion Rachel, agree with the two above a little more subject separation would be nice and both option would work however dodging the mid tones may be the easiest and may produce a probably better end result.

Rachel Hollander
02-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Thanks gents! Yes, Steve, it has been a bit quiet lately and it seems like there are a lot of lurkers who don't comment judging by the number of views compared to comments on many images. Also, same old problem of a few who post images but don't comment on other people's images (or do so but only on one or 2) so there isn't as much discussion going on these days.

I should have said in my op that I shot this in vertical and have no more room to the left. I agree that I wish for a bit of separation from the whiskers to the left edge. Here's a repost with a little bit of dodging of midtones as suggested (4%).

Thanks again,
Rachel

Faraaz Abdool
02-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Lovely shot, Rachel - I like how this looks in B&W. I agree with the others regarding the space on the LHS, however it still works for me. Maybe you could also try darkening the pupil just a touch? I love his expression. Great shot overall! Hope you are well.

Andrew Merwin
02-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi Rachel, I agree with the above comments. Re. the left side & the whisker: have you considered cloning the area where the whisker leaves the image so it stops before the edge of the frame? I like the B&W conversion. TFS.

Rachel Hollander
03-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks Faraaz and Andrew, much appreciated.

Stu Bowie
03-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi Rachel, great conversion, and I do like the overall detail captured. He is certainly fixed on something. Always good to get a close up of these wonderful cats. The private parks spoil you dont they. :w3

Rachel Hollander
03-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks Stuart:wave: and yes, the private reserves really spoil you in more ways than one!

Anette Mossbacher
03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Hi Rachel,

love your B&W. Sorry for being so quiet lately. I am working hard on a new website and that takes all my time, phew. Try to catch up here and there.
Anyway, great image, I like your RP very much

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
03-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks Anette