PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpipers

Evan Cain
02-27-2013, 10:09 PM
I love to photograph shorebirds, they are probably my favorite avian category. This image is one of my favorites that I have taken, but the one thing that has always bothered me about it is the rear bird is OOF. Not terribly OOF, but noticeable.

Thoughts?

400mm
f/5.6, ISO 400, 1/400
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8369/8514984588_7c67ae8153_b.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
02-28-2013, 10:13 AM
This is very nice Evan! I'm OK with the far bird being OOF due to lack of DOF. You would have needed to close down ALOT to get them both sharp. Love the dual feeding poses, the comp, and the way the reflections fade out. My only wish, and this is only due to bad luck, is for the bill of the front bird not touching the leg of the far one. Super nice overall!!

Marina Scarr
03-01-2013, 09:27 PM
I also find this image qutie pleaisng. The OOF bird in the back doesn't bother me at all. Your comp works just right, and i really like the subtle reflections of beaks and legs. Well done!!

Diane Miller
03-01-2013, 10:23 PM
I LOVE this! The back bird needs the slight OOF softness to separate it from the front one -- it works beautifully here!

Is there any more on the bottom? I long to see just a little more of the reflection, or, mpre precisely, to see it fade to the white BG without so much crowding. For my tastes, you could crop some off the top -- nothing is happening there.