PDA

View Full Version : Snail

Dave Leroy
02-27-2013, 06:03 PM
From last August, 5DIII, 100mm, f/11, 1/10, tripod, cable release, and maybe an extension tube.
Slight crop to level stem. I also tidied things up a bit.

Faraaz Abdool
02-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Cool shot with exposure, colour and details good. Shooting a moving snail at 1/10s huh - not much risk of motion blur there. I would've preferred a CW rotation of the image to get the stalk as a diagonal.

Steve Maxson
02-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Hi Dave. Cool patterns on the shell and body of the snail and nice texture captured in the equisetum stalk. Good sharpness at 1/10 - snails are slow, but they are moving. I like the comp with the off-center stem and the snail in the ROT position. I'm wondering how this would look if it was just a bit darker overall? This is very nicely done!

Dave Leroy
03-01-2013, 06:21 PM
The snail was moving and the hardest part was to get some sort of order to the eyes. I will have a quick look at a bit darker. ETTR can be hard to bring back down sometimes.

Jonathan Ashton
03-03-2013, 03:58 PM
I like the composition but would consider moving the subject slightly more to the right in the frame. The more I look the more I think it needs a little bit more punch, you could try curves, select the mid point and using the down arrow just bring it down a few cogs. Alternatively a large Unsharp mask would increase contrast or another way would be Selective Colour< Blacks>Blacks 2-3 and Neutral>2.

Dave Leroy
03-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the comments. I did do a darker version and it certainly looks better.