PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron stretch

Diane Miller
02-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Unfortunately the light was too much off my left shoulder and no way to change my angle to the bird.

Canon 5D Mk 3, 600mm II + 1.4x, ISO 800, 1/640, f/13. Big Gitzo + Wimberley II. Basic tonal corrections in LR4 and a touch of Detail Extractor in PS. Added a slight amount of canvas top and left.

Dennis Zaebst
02-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Nice image Diane; I actually like the modeling effect of some degree of sidelight. I realize that the "rule" is to have completely flat front-lighting, minimizing shadows. But I think this makes the subjects sometimes look like models in a studio shoot (not always, of course). And sometimes, as you experienced here, there is no other option. Others here may (and probably will) disagree with me. This image is very sharp and the bird has a good pose. Well done.

Diane Miller
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks, Dennis. I agree about light modeling but could wish for more light on the face in this one. 20 degrees more.... I could try getting there earlier one day.

Forgot to say it was taken at Bodega Bay, CA. Mid-morning light.

Daniel Cadieux
02-27-2013, 02:12 PM
The pose is neat, and the comp good...but as you point out yourself the light angle was off. Perch not the best either but you take what you can...