PDA

View Full Version : Ballerina

Don Lacy
02-26-2013, 08:04 AM
My 500 has been sitting in my closet for way to long as I have been shooting mostly landscapes lately so it was a joy to go to the Glades last week and shoot some Avian subjects. This image was made at Echo pond in Flamingo on a wonderful morning were the pond had plenty of activity,

1DMKIII, 500 f/4, 1/1600 at f/7.1, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, ISO 400, Tripod, Cropped and cloned out some weeds in the water

Bill Dix
02-26-2013, 09:33 AM
I love the pose here; well titled. Exposure looks good. I could imagine a bit off the top and left for a tighter crop, but I'm suspecting this is already a pretty good crop, so maybe not. And just a tiny bit of CW rotation.

David Pugsley
02-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Love the pose. Needs a CW rotation. I'd patch the large highlight blob in the upper-right so it matches the green/brown tonality of the rest of the upper frame.

Stu Bowie
02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Hi Don, what strikes me in this, is how the bill follows the line of the left leg. Exposure looks good, sharp, and agree a little off the left will improve the comp. With regards to rotation, the ripple around the left foot looks pretty horizontal/level - although small. If one looks at the ripples between the legs - well ever so slightly off. I would leave it. :w3

Diane Miller
02-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Very nice pose -- as said, the lineup of the bill and the leg is great. Realize it may not have been possible, but I long to see more of the reflection.

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Don, its a unique pose. I liked it a lot. It shows of the neck pattern so well...something we dont see in traditional poses. loved the calm water. If mine, I might take some off the top and add some below if you have.

Jonathan Ashton
02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Very elegant and super colours, this really works for me. I wondering if cropping say an inch off the top improves composition.

John Chardine
02-26-2013, 09:35 PM
My first reaction, after admiring the capture (!) was the need for a slight CW rotation too. Sometimes this can be a illusion but it would be worth a try here, and very easy to do. I like the pose too but would like to see more of the eye.

Marina Scarr
02-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Lovely and unusual pose, Don. I would crop a tad from the left and top to put it a little more off center. I like the hint of a catch light. Did you add it? Awfully glad to see that you dusted off your 500!

Don Lacy
02-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Lovely and unusual pose, Don. I would crop a tad from the left and top to put it a little more off center. I like the hint of a catch light. Did you add it? Awfully glad to see that you dusted off your 500!
Thanks Marina, I did not ad the catch light I rarely do in post. I was actually thinking of selling my 500 and concentrating only on landscapes but as much as I like landscape photography I also enjoy the challenge of avian photography to much to walk away from it.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
02-27-2013, 09:14 PM
I like the angles created by the pose Don as well as the raisd foot. I wish to see more of the red color of the eye but nice as posted