PDA

View Full Version : Spill pools

Rudi van den Heever
02-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Another image from Mountain Sanctuary Park, South Africa...

A blend of two exposures using luminosity masks.

Don Lacy
02-25-2013, 06:35 PM
I really like the composition of this image it has a nice flow and balance to it leading the viewers eye from the foreground pool to the sky. Well done

Morkel Erasmus
02-28-2013, 05:15 AM
Lovely scene and vibrance here, Rudi.
Again - as in the previous posting from this spot - I feel your balance of luminosity is off, with the sky being much darker than the foreground. It's natural for a brooding stormy sky if the light comes from the opposite direction, but with blue sky like this in light like this one expects it to be brighter. Easy fix, though...

I know you probably leveled it by the BG mountains/horizon, but I feel it could stand a bit of CW rotation, as the RHS edge of the pool (as viewed) looks unnaturally higher than the LHS edge, and the water looks slanted as a result. Perhaps it's a mind-trick/illusion? :e3

Rudi van den Heever
02-28-2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

See what you mean Morkel - but not sure if it is such an "easy" fix, unless I correct the sky exposure and start blending all over again... :e3 Or is there a easier way?

Will see what it looks like if I rotate it slightly, but the horizon will be a problem...

Rachel Hollander
03-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Hi Rudi - I like the reflections of the sky and rocks in the water and how the water leads us in to the scene but I have the same uneasy feeling about the water that Morkel does. Feels slightly tilted.

TFS,
Rachel

Cheryl Slechta
03-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Rudi, I think a pano would look nice also, cropping from the bottom and eliminating the sandbar on the lower right.

Don Railton
03-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi Rudi

I love this composition and especially the colours which are rich & vibrant... Well done..!

My only dislike is the sky which seems patchy to me in places which I feel may be due to errors in blending, but i could be wrong... For instance the sky to the left of the leafless tree seems lighter in a band going from the mountain top to the top edge of the image, also above the rock on the rhs there is a halo above the scrub on top of that rock. Also the gold tinge over the clouds is not consistent right to left. These all seem a little unnatural to me... Also agree with the need for a little rotation.

Its a great image Rudi, worth spending a bit of time on in my books...

DON