PDA

View Full Version : White Tailed Kite Takes Off in Golden Light

Loi Nguyen
02-25-2013, 12:58 AM
I went in search for white tailed kites. After spending the whole day taking pictures of them in harsh light, I decided to pack it in. Then I spotted the pair at quite a distance on a tree across a deep ravine, there was no way to approach them and the light was fading, so I put on the 2X and waited. I didn't have to wait for too long before one jumped off. I had only vague idea where the light came from since I was in complete shade of a thick oak tree grove. I love white tailed kites, but have not been able to take good picture of them. This may very well be my best. I love the reddish Los Padres mountain in the background, so decided to palce the bird smack in the middle to include some of the red color.

Removed a couple of distracting sticks, but left most intact.

1DX
500f4 II + 2X III
1/1000
f8
ISO-800
Tripod
Manual expose
Cropped about 50% W and 50% L.

Should I have stopped down say to f11 and bumped up ISO to 1600 to get more sharpness, or do you think it is a wash? I had a tripod, so in theory could reduce shutter speed, but that seems risky.

I will photograph these kites more in the coming months, so appreciate tips on how to expose for the whites and under wing They are in breeding season soon and I would prefer not to use flash so not to disturb them during breeding season.

Thank you

Loi

Loi Nguyen
02-25-2013, 03:30 AM
Now that I have a chance to sleep on this image, I don't think the comp works. The sticks are just too distracting, too dominating, and in such small size, the bird eye cannot be seen at all. So, perhaps a tight crop is a better choice, although in this case, I don't quite have the resolution to support a high IQ image. Here is a re-post of a tight crop.

Miguel Palaviccini
02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Hi Loi,

I agree with your latter assessment. The original image is a bit busy with the shrub, and the comp just didn't work well. I think your repost is a bit too tight (loss of IQ) and I would consider going somewhere in between.

IMO, I would take this as a learning shot and continue to work these guys over the next couple of months. I've seen your other work, so I really look forward to seeing what you can do with these guys after a little practice.

Miguel

Stu Bowie
02-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Hi Loi, looks like our black shouldered kite. With your reach of lens ( 1000mm ) this guy was still too far for a decent shot. Having said that, well timed for the take off, and cropping tighter has helped with the comp.

There have been plenty great subjects that Ive wanted to shoot, but due to being that little bit too far, Ive unfortunately missed out.

Alan Murphy
02-25-2013, 01:10 PM
I think a crop of the original with some off the right and bottom, leaving some of the trees in the image would be best. Well done.

Marina Scarr
02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
I agree with Alan on attempting a tighter crop but loser than your last repost. Nice light and pose.

Loi Nguyen
02-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Thank you all. I will have the opportunity to photograph these birds again soon since they are only 1 hour from me. Let me get closer and wait for the right light! Will get it right next time.