PDA

View Full Version : Don of the Semiens (C)

Shreyas Mantri
02-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Hello all,
Another one from the series that I made from the Geladas at the Bronx Zoo in summer 2012.
I'm fascinated by the beauty and the furry construction of these primates, and specially fond of the looks and expressions they produce from time to time. And one of which is this!

During PP, I wanted to highlight the bold yet composed disposition of this guy - just like that of Don Corleone :bg3:- and hence the portrait. Also to be noted that I preferred the partial white highlights on the fur to be able to produce the contrast to the face, subject to my taste.
I'm curious to know what you all think!!

Canon 7D, Canon 300mm II, ISO 640, f/2.8, @ 1/500s, shot around noon.
Comments always appreciated!

Rachel Hollander
02-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Shreyas - the highlights don't bother me except where they lack detail on the face below the nose. The conversion and dark bg is very effective IMHO. Maybe a little too sharp for my taste but nice job overall.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Hi Shreyas, interesting concept and good to see you exploring different options & mediums to present your images.

I might suggest adding a bit more BKG to the top, as it's a little tight as presented. I would also look at some of the hotspots ie head, upper lip, chest etc and try to tone them down a little, although I'm still away, so the laptop may not be ideal. :S3: Also the RH side hair to the right of the chest looks clogged & choked?

Not sure however if this is in the right location, so you may wish to think about reposting also in ETL & OOTB as other could also benefit from your image, just athought.

TFS
Steve

Marina Scarr
02-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Absolutely love this presentation/perspective.

Morkel Erasmus
02-27-2013, 11:13 PM
I like the concept and execution here Shreyas (with minor adjustments needed as already noted above). Great detail and contrast in the face, the mouth even looks like Marlon Brando's in the movies :w3.
I too think it could be beneficial to post this in the OOTB and/or ETL forums? If you are comfortable we can copy it there for further feedback?

Shreyas Mantri
02-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks you all for the suggestions! I'll work it up again and see what comes out of that.
Meanwhile, Morkel and Steve, please feel free to move it to the OOTB forum; and thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers

Steve Kaluski
02-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Hi Shreyas, you could post it yourself, as it was only just a thought.

Just reviewing the image again, as the snow falls, so far almost a foot, with another for tomorrow, bring it on.:bg3:

dankearl
03-04-2013, 12:37 AM
I don't think this is OOTB.
I like it a lot. Great expression, does not seem overly Processed to me.